Junior In-House Environmental Lawyer (Ref: 1126/23)
Bristol or Exeter /
Pennon – Pennon - Legal /
At Pennon Group, we’re proud to be leading the way in the water industry. Alongside our subsidiaries - South West Water, Bournemouth Water and Pennon Water Services - we’re committed to delivering a sustainable future of our region. Because we know that by continually driving up our standards today, we’ll build a better tomorrow for our communities.
Are you looking for a role where you can use your legal skills to bring about real change within a purpose-led business, committed to the effective stewardship of the environment, and in a sector where environmental issues are at the heart of the services we provide? Are you an English qualified solicitor who is eager to develop your career in environmental law and to learn from a team of experienced environmental lawyers?
We currently have an opportunity for a junior In House Environmental Lawyer to join our team based in Exeter or Bristol. Joining us on a full-time permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of £48,000 - £65,000 per annum depending upon location and PQE plus excellent benefits.
About the role:
As part of an in-house legal team that is fully integrated within the business, the role of junior In-House Environmental Lawyer will be to work with our experienced environmental lawyers to support the business with its ambitious environmental strategies and compliance with the regulatory framework applicable to water companies. The work we do is diverse and varied and you may be asked to provide legal advice on regulatory and commercial aspects of the business, to draft agreements for environmental projects, and to support environmental litigation, including enforcement, prosecutions, regulatory appeals, judicial review and civil claims. We have a large in-house legal team, with lawyers in Exeter and Bristol, and we believe in working together as a team and supporting each other to learn new skills and develop as lawyers.
What you’ll be doing:
- Supporting the business by advising on environmental compliance and regulation
- Advising in connection with environmental permitting, licensing and consents
- Advising on regulatory compliance and enforcement, including environmental prosecutions
- Advising on Enforcement Undertakings
- Drafting the contractual terms of environmental projects
- Advising on access to environmental information and duties under the Environmental Information Regulations 2004
- Providing training on environmental issues relevant to business functions
What we are looking for:
- UK qualified solicitor with an enthusiasm for practising environmental law
- Ability to communicate legal issues and risks in terms that non-legal colleagues can understand
- Ability to articulate points in writing and orally, clearly and succinctly
- Previous experience in environmental law and/or the water industry is not necessary but some experience of providing advice to businesses in regulated industries would be an advantage
What's in it for you:
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- A discretionary Bonus
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Share-save Scheme
- Various health benefits
- Wellbeing support programmes
- A range of Group Discounts
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Financial support services
- And plenty more!
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long-term career with us. We’re one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition. In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits including:
Closing Date: Tuesday 30th May 2023
Please note that the successful candidate will be subject to a mandatory DBS check as part of the onboarding process.
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
· Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
· Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
· Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
· Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.