What is Spacious?
Spacious is a new way to access cities. We believe that access makes cities great. It fosters diversity and creativity and is often what attracts us to cities in the first place. Our first partnership is with the city’s best restaurants. We open the doors to these beautiful spaces in the hours they would normally sit unused, creating space for working and meeting up and just being.
We are fundamentally changing how urban dwellers interact with their city. We do this through our unique symbiotic business model, world class hospitality, and an obsession with building seamless technology that fades into the background, every piece designed to make the lives of all our stakeholders simpler.
What is the role?
Spacious is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic UI Engineer to join our team and help us build products that will be part of the daily routine of our customers, partners, and team members. 3+ years or industry experience or equivalent work history are expected.
Reporting to the CTO, you will be responsible for working closely with product and design to create beautiful interfaces. A love of design, attention to detail, and a strong grasp of HTML, CSS and JS are invaluable in this role. You'll work across our broad range of products, both internal and customer facing while also working on prototyping new products.
What you will achieve:
- Within your first month
- By the end of month 3
- You should have added features to our existing projects, and worked on the end to end development of at least one of those features.
- Understand one problem domain in depth e.g.: location discovery, check in, onboarding, in space communication, space administration.
- Talk with customers, team members and other stakeholders who rely on this domain to discover vectors for improvement.
- Improve the experience of your chosen domain to be faster, more reliable, and easier to reason about and build upon.
- From there your role will continue to evolve
- Right now scaling into new cities is our biggest priority. Due to the complexity of operating physical spaces, there is still plenty of work to be done automating the most tedious and repetitive tasks of our team members, so they don’t get bogged down while adding new locations. We are also constantly prototyping new ideas and services we might offer our members. Some of the projects and ideas underway include:
- Adding to our GraphQL API
- Seamless WiFi authorization and onboarding
- Native mobile apps for members and for our hosts
- Kioskless check in/out via GPS, iBeacons, Computer Vision
- Fully integrated and automated expense tracking, payroll, accounting, and payouts
- Testing out other space partnerships and forms of space consumption
- Logistics and reducing the time to open a new location from weeks to days
What we expect:
- Know how to make interfaces look and feel good on the web.
- Have a strong HTML and CSS background. You've hit plenty of walls in making a site perfect and you've consistently overcome them.
- Because of the speed at which we're moving, candidates need to be able to hit the ground running from day one. Therefore, 3+ years of industry experience or equivalent work history are expected.
- Have real expertise in web development.
- Be comfortable weighing performance, developer velocity and code quality with business goals.
- Act as a technologist.
- Bias towards action and shipping. Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept
- Strong ability to write production code quickly.
- Be comfortable with a range of languages and open source tools and frameworks, and make good decisions about which to use to solve a particular problem.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of technological possibilities and domain knowledge.
- Solve problems, together.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with non-technologists and others.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems
What you can expect:
• A membership to Spacious. We don’t have an office or central headquarters. Instead we work out of our locations, side by side with our customers
• Flexible schedule. Work when and where you want, including from home
• Unlimited vacation
• 80% of health, dental & vision insurance
• One Medical and Teledoc
• Paid parental leave
• Life insurance
• Citi Bike membership
• Wage works commuter benefits
• 50% reimbursement for a personal computer
At Spacious, we don’t just accept differences in background and perspective - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Spacious is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.