Sr. Business Development Manager
Remote or Washington, DC
What is Sparkfund?
Sparkfund powers organizations by providing a new way to access energy systems - a subscription to advanced energy technology. We partner with trusted brands including major utilities, energy retailers, and contractors to deliver the Sparkfund Technology Subscription™. The technology subscription has enabled more than 200 medium-sized and enterprise businesses to accelerate adoption of new energy systems across their portfolio of buildings. End customers use the technology subscription as a strategy to accelerate adoption of new energy systems across their building portfolios without diverting time or money away from core business growth. Sparkfund seeks to create positive change by deploying solutions that make good business sense and are good for the planet.
Sparkfund is hiring a Sr. Business Development Manager to drive growth for our business as part of our rapidly expanding Sales organization. Reporting to our Sales Director, you will be responsible for developing new business opportunities, directly engaging key customer stakeholders, and closing deals with large commercial clients across portfolios of buildings. As a Sr. Business Development Manager, you will leverage your existing networks in our strategic markets, and build ongoing relationships around the country to challenge the status quo, introduce the Sparkfund Technology Subscription, and generate high-quality volume. You will travel around the country to meet potential and existing customers where they are, and you will spend time in our Washington, DC office as a home base - while you may be located elsewhere, we would expect you to spend a significant amount of time in DC to be a collaborative member of the team, learn the ins and outs of our offering, and contribute to our company culture.
We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we plan to hire for this role in the coming months for several anticipated openings.
Here's what you'll get to do:
- Identify new opportunities with commercial customers and national accounts in our strategic market segments of commercial real estate, healthcare, hospitality, and education
- Secure meetings with high-level decision makers
- Create and facilitate client presentations
- Manage six- and seven-figure transactions to close
- Share lessons learned with larger team and provide insight into customer experience to help build out the tools and processes of a robust Sales organization
What you'll need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree and significant experience in commercial real estate, asset management, and/or the financing or procurement related to advanced energy technology for commercial buildings
- Existing network of C-Suite executives, particularly COOs and CFOs
- Deep understanding of our customers, their pain points, and how they buy, and an ability to communicate our expertise in their businesses
- Knack for building long-term relationships and trust
- Relentless focus on closing the deal
- Track record of exceeding quotas selling complex products/solutions to commercial clients
- Fearless attitude, ability to find a creative solution to every problem, and a willingness to learn by doing
- Dedication to what we’re building at Sparkfund, and making an impact through increasing access to energy efficiency across the economy
- Commitment to shared success in a collaborative team environment
- Competitive compensation and stock option plans - we believe in radical shared ownership in our success together
- A comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance; pre-tax commuter benefits; disability and life insurance; and an option to contribute to your retirement via a 401(k)
- We provide a company laptop and other hardware you need
- Paid leave for caregivers to take time outside of work when they have a new addition to their families, through birth or adoption
- A communal kitchen in our DC office with snacks if you need them, all the flavored seltzer you could imagine, and catered team lunches every Friday to create a space for people to come together outside of their day-to-day work
- 10 paid holidays + a flexible vacation philosophy that encourages ~4 weeks of additional time away per year to take the time you need
- Workspace customization - you can work at a sitting or standing desk and set up your space the way you want
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We strive to make advanced energy technology accessible to all to make our planet a better place. Diversity on our team is key to meeting that goal; by fostering a culture of empowerment, enabling innovation, and surfacing new ideas that can translate universally, we’ll solve tougher challenges as a group and reach more customers who can benefit from our solutions. We know that if we’re going to change the world, we need to create a space for people to bring their whole selves to work each and every day.
We’re not quite there yet, but we are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.