Strategic Finance Manager
Remote or Washington, DC /
Sparkfund is an energy technology platform company based in Washington, D.C. built to enable leading brands to deliver new offers to their customers across resilience, decarbonization & electrification. Our partners use our platform to capture new growth in the energy services market, differentiate their existing end-customer offerings, increase the lifetime value of customer relationships, and more efficiently manage capital structuring, risk appetite, and ongoing servicing. We deliver solutions through a flexible range of commercial structures, from fully managed subscriptions, where we handle everything from installation to ongoing maintenance and repairs, to simple installations for customers who prefer to manage systems themselves, to the monitoring of existing equipment for fault detection and replacement recommendations.
We enable our customers to focus on their core businesses. Sparkfund’s mission is to combat climate change through healthier buildings and transportation. We strive to create positive change by deploying solutions that are good for business and good for the planet. We’re building a diverse and collaborative culture to help us achieve all of that.
Sparkfund is a platform built to enable leading brands to deliver new offers to their customers behind-the-meter across resilience, decarbonization, & electrification. Our partners use our platform to capture new growth in the energy services market, differentiate their existing end-customer offerings, increase lifetime value of customer relationships and more efficiently manage capital structuring, risk appetite, and ongoing servicing. We are set to accomplish our mission through our platform, partners, clients, and the deep bench of talent on the Sparkfund team. And we’re building a diverse and collaborative culture to help us achieve all of that.
Sparkfund is hiring a Manager of Strategic Finance who will be responsible for distilling company data into reports, forecasts, and analyses that will drive financial decisions at the company. This role reports to the Vice President of Strategic Finance. In this role you will be required to communicate with a variety of stakeholders including the executive team, functional leads, investors, and capital providers. You will be required to work across different verticals to gather information, assess and analyze data, create presentations, and provide strategic recommendations. This opportunity is perfect for someone who has experience with and is excited about both the world of quantitative and qualitative data challenges, and also wants to make a positive impact on the environment through their work.
This role is flexible on location. We expect you to occasionally spend time in Washington, DC to collaborate with other members of the team, learn the ins and outs of our business, and contribute to our company culture (this, of course, depends on local COVID rules and regulations).
- Reviewing tactical long-range forecasts with detailed operating and capital budgets
- Analyzing current and past financial data and performance to generate scenario and variance analyses
- Preparing reports and translating data into a consumable format for individuals who have varying comfort and expertise with financial and quantitative data
- Evaluating current operating assumptions concerning capital expenditures, revenue, expenses, headcount, depreciation, balance sheet, and cash flow items
- Assisting in generating the quarterly and annual budget and forecasts
- Evaluating short-term and long-term project revenue; helping to build business casesIdentifying trends in financial performance and providing recommendations for improvement
- Contributing to analyses and presentations for consumption by senior executives or Board members
- Building structured and scalable financial models with useful, integrated reporting mechanisms
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting with 5-7 years of experience researching, analyzing, and interpreting financial data, ideally in an FP&A or public accounting capacity
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills
- Deep understanding of GAAP financial statements and how business decisions impact financial modeling, accounting, and reporting
- Strong communication and presentation skillsCreative approach to solving problems including the patience and ability to make logical and well-reasoned recommendations
- Proficiency with Netsuite or similar financial planning suite; proficiency with Microsoft Office Products, particularly Excel (or G-sheets)
- Comfort with and willingness to learn new software tools, e.g. Slack
- A dedication to what we’re building at Sparkfund, which is to make a positive impact through increasing access to efficient energy infrastructure across the economy
We’d love it if you have
- Advanced financial modeling skills
- Specific experience analyzing and generating pro-forma financial statements for PE-sponsored companies
- Specific experience analyzing and generating financial models for project finance, energy infrastructure, or utility projects
- An active CPA license, though this is not a requirement for the position
- Competitive compensation and stock option plans - we believe in radical shared ownership.
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance; pre-tax commuter benefits; disability and life insurance
- Flexible vacation policy that encourages ~4 weeks of paid time off
- We honor all of the federal holiday and believe in the long weekends. Sparkfund is closed every Friday before a Monday holiday as well.
- 8 weeks gender-neutral paid leave for caregivers when they have a new addition to their families.
- A company laptop and any other hardware you need.
We Want You To Know
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are dedicated to environmental stewardship, and recognize we need diverse perspectives to successfully tackle this massive challenge. To change the world, we must first change ourselves, which is why Sparkfund has created a space that sources viewpoints from people who look and think differently.
We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.