Leave Payroll Specialist
San Francisco /
Sparrow is a fast-growing software startup based in San Francisco. Our mission is to make it simple for companies to provide their employees with all kinds of leave (i.e. family, medical, etc.). Currently, the leave management process is painful and inefficient for everyone—company leaders struggle to keep up with regulations and processes that change frequently, and the employees going on leave are overwhelmed by bureaucracy at an exceptionally important juncture in their career. Sparrow transforms this ordinarily tedious, error-prone, and time-consuming process into a quick and simple one, saving teams time (20-40 hours per leave) and money (up to $25K per leave).
Sparrow is a diverse, highly talented and supportive team. Together, we are hardworking, collaborative, smart, and humble—after all, we’re solving real problems.
Sparrow is looking for a Leave Payroll Specialist to join our fast-growing Customer Operations team. This is different from a normal Payroll Specialist as you are not managing internal payroll. Instead, your day-to-day will include:
Excelling at providing internal support for our leave specialists with leave and payroll calculations:
- Work with the leave specialists by preparing customized personalized payroll plans and payroll reconciliations for employees and customers’ payroll teams.
- Act responsively, accurately, and with attention to detail with payroll deadlines
- Ensure correct personalized payroll plans are calculated on the online dashboard system
- Interface and collaborate comfortably with a variety of key parties: Sparrow’s leave specialists and customers’ payroll teams where needed, through various methods of communication (phone call, email, in-person)
In collaboration with the Sparrow team, building a better product:
- Collect and share product feedback that you receive during customer interactions
- Identify improvements in payroll calculations software and services
- Provide input on payroll system integrations
- Implement process improvements to resolve inefficiencies and address customer pain points
- Proven 3+ years of experience as a payroll specialist and working with payroll software systems, i.e. Gusto, ADP, SurePayroll, Paylocity, etc.
- Highly organized with great attention to detail
- Clear, empathetic communicator able to balance rapport and problem solving
- Trustworthy with attention to confidentiality
- Learner’s mindset — highly self-directed, adaptable, and up for feedback and implementation in a fast-paced, always changing environment
Why be a Leave Payroll Specialist at Sparrow?
- Sparrow solves an acute pain point experienced by companies and their employees.
- We strive to be the best in the industry by addressing long-standing problems in the process and providing exceptional service. This means that as a Leave Payroll Specialist, you ensure that employees get timely and accurate wages during their leave!
To learn more about the Sparrow team and benefits, check out our careers page.
In your cover letter, please include answers to the following questions:
Why are you a good fit for this role?
What are your feelings on puppies?