Staff Software Engineer
San Francisco /
Sparrow is a fast-growing software startup based in San Francisco. Our mission is to make it simple for companies to provide their employees with all kinds of leave (i.e. family, medical, etc.). Currently, the leave management process is painful and inefficient for everyone—company leaders struggle to keep up with regulations and processes that change frequently, and the employees going on leave are overwhelmed by bureaucracy at an exceptionally important juncture in their career. Sparrow transforms this ordinarily tedious, error-prone, and time-consuming process into a quick and simple one, saving teams time (20-40 hours per leave) and money (up to $25K per leave).
Sparrow is a diverse, highly talented and supportive team. Together, we are hardworking, collaborative, smart, and humble—after all, we’re solving real problems.
Sparrow is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our fast-growing team. As an early member of Sparrow, your day-to-day will include:
- Working with product specialists, operations, and sales to help automate paperwork, collect information securely, and create new tools to make the leave experience as seamless as possible.
- Working across the stack to create libraries that will scale with the company.
- Write tests to ensure the product is built on a reliable foundation.
- Collaborate with your teammates to build a cohesive and beautiful product.
- Collaborative. At Sparrow, engineering is a team sport. In any given week, you might scope out a feature with the product specialist and operations team or you might be pair programming with other engineers on the team. We're looking for engineers who are committed to working together to build an incredible product.
- Process-builder. At Sparrow, we value efficient processes and communication, and we want to hire engineers who are ready to improve our processes, making them even more scalable.
- Product-obsessed. At Sparrow, engineers act as their own product managers, in collaboration with the rest of the team, therefore we need engineers with great active-listening skils.
- Systematic mindset. If something is not working as expected, you’ll systematically review the situation to determine the root cause.
- Superior organization skills and attention to detail. You’ll need to prioritize and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Learner’s mindset. Highly self-directed, adaptable, and up for feedback and implementation in a fast paced, always changing environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Clear communicator able to balance rapport and problem solving.
- Proactive. Have a “roll up your sleeves” attitude—you’re highly proactive and have strong follow-through
To learn more about the Sparrow team and benefits, check out our careers page.
In your cover letter, please include answers to the following questions:
Why are you a good fit for this role?
What are your feelings on puppies?