Layout Technician II
Houston, TX /
Civil Construction /
A COMPANY OF EMPLOYEE OWNERS.
Our story began in 1953 and is co-authored by Louis Spaw and Frank Glass. We are a Texas-based construction services provider and our purpose is to provide our clients with the absolute best construction experience. At the heart of our organization, is our people, and we strive to fulfill our purpose each day by living the SpawGlass Way: Build Trust, Be Professional, Live Teamwork, Be Passionate and Think Like an Owner.
The SpawGlass Civil Division pursues civil infrastructure projects as well as concrete and sitework on commercial construction projects. Work includes: building foundations, sitework, parks, roads, sidewalks, parking lots and toll plazas. The layout technician II will be accountable for dimensional control of the construction site, including buildings, site and utilities.
What you'll do
- Provides construction layout as requested by supervision including control lines and elevations that are required for accurate measurement and correct installation of materials by crafts (i.e., forms for concrete pours, anchor bolts, grading, etc.).
- Survey the existing conditions of the future work site to prevent conflicts with utility lines such as drainage pipes, electrical ducts, etc.
- Provide topographic and cross-section surveys as required for planning and payment quantities.
- Verifies location of structures during construction.
- Provide as-builts surveying and verify that work was completed in accordance to specifications and codes.
- Locate, create, and maintain control points and benchmarks in project area.
- Ensure proper survey methods are used by all crew members and check all work for accuracy.
- Investigate and provide solutions to survey issues.
- Supervision of survey personnel subordinates.
- Prepares documentation of survey activities.
- Read and check construction set plans and report any identified mistakes or problems.
- Maintenance of survey equipment.
- Save and keep records of files and field books.
- Schedule of work with superintendent, foremen, and survey manager.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
What you bring to the team
- High school diploma or GED
- 5+ years of experience in Surveying
- Excellent computer skills (email, Microsoft Excel, Word, etc.)
- Experience with survey design software
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Knowledge in robotics and GPS instrumentation
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans
- Valid first aid certificate (can be obtained upon employment)
- OSHA 30-Hour certification (can be obtained upon employment)
You must be able to twist, stoop, bend, squat, kneel, crawl, climb ladders, climb stairs, walk on uneven ground, work above ground on scaffolds, have depth of perception to avoid excavations and other hazards, hear well enough to recognize the sounds of horns and sirens on moving equipment and have good finger manipulation. There is a constant lifting of 10 lbs., frequent lifting of 25 lbs. and maximum single person lifting of 50 lbs. For items over 50 lbs. get assistance from a co worker. Team members must be able to climb on light or heavy equipment, carry and use hand tools. There is standing up to seven hours of an eight-hour shift. Ability to work in outside temperatures from 25 - 115 degrees.
SpawGlass is an Equal Opportunity Employer.