Head of Engineering
Seattle, Washington /
Engineering – Spice.ai Data & AI Platform /
Building data and AI-driven apps is still way too hard, even for advanced developers. At Spice AI, we’re helping developers combine code with data and machine learning (ML) to create truly data and AI-driven applications. Spice AI is on a mission to make this as easy as creating a modern web page.
There is no ecosystem more data-rich than web3 and blockchains. Ironically, while most blockchains are public and open, extracting data to power apps and ML is painfully difficult. Spice is making terabyte (and eventually petabyte) blockchain datasets and ML models accessible to developers, data scientists, data engineers, and AI/ML engineers.
At Spice AI, we're building a platform for the next generation of data and AI-driven applications, starting with web3. The platform includes Spice.xyz (data and AI infrastructure for web3) and Spice.ai OSS (time-series AI for developers).
As Head of Engineering, you will hire, grow, and lead a high-performance team of software, data, and AI/ML engineers responsible for building the Spice data and AI platform. You will report directly to the CEO and work side-by-side with the executive team to develop and execute the technical roadmap and architecture. You will apply your experience in building and scaling big data and AI systems, lead by example, be hands-on, and create a culture of excellence.
This is a key and vital role. You will join on the ground-floor, and together, co-define, co-lead, and co-create the team, the product, and the company. Join a VC-backed, fast-growing team of experienced engineers, using modern technologies like Apache Arrow, to create the modern data and AI platform for AI-driven applications.
This role may be a great fit if:
- You are a proven, hands-on technology leader.
- You can take a customer focused product and make it accessible with technology.
- You are a creative problem solver and approach solutions from different angles, focusing on possibility, rather than limitations.
- When faced with ambiguity, you are a guiding north star and provide clarity to the team.
- You are passionate about high performance and have high standards.
This experience would be ideal:
- Experience in startups, open-source projects, AI/ML, data platforms, and distributed systems.
- Experience in designing, implementing, training, scaling, and shipping production data and machine learning systems.
- A track record of excellent design, architectural, engineering, and product decisions.
- Excellent communication skills, comfortable with deep technical writing and conference presentations.
- Experience in web3, blockchains, crypto, DAOs, trading systems, or financial services is a bonus but not required.
Your new opportunity:
- Leading the company-wide technical strategy and execution.
- Attracting, hiring, growing, and mentoring a team of software, data, and AI/ML engineers.
- Building and growing an engaged technical community and industry-leading thought leadership.
- Creating, designing, and building the Spice.xyz web3 data systems, AI/ML architecture, and platform.
- Maintaining the Spice.ai open-source project.
- Leading, executing, and communicating the strategy for technology platforms, partnerships and external relationships.
Your first 90-days
- Days 0-30: Learn, contribute to, and ship Spice.ai OSS and Spice.xyz releases. Gain a deep understanding of the product and technical roadmaps, architecture, and strategy.
- Days 31-60: Focus on hiring and building your team. 60-90 days - take leadership of the technical execution of in-flight projects
- Days 61-90: Take leadership of the company’s technical architecture and long-term technical strategy
$205,000 - $255,000 a year
Spice AI offers competitive startup equity in addition to base salary.
This is a hands-on role. Expect to join all of the engineering team, including the CEO, in building and coding to develop the platform.
About Spice AI
Founded in June 2021 by Microsoft and GitHub alumni Luke Kim and Phillip LeBlanc, Spice AI creates technology to help developers build intelligent apps that learn and adapt.
Before co-founding Spice AI, Luke was the co-creator of Azure Incubations in the Office of the Azure CTO, where he led cross-functional engineering teams to create and develop technologies like Dapr and OAM.
Spice AI is backed by some of the top industry angel investors and leaders, including Nat Friedman, Chairman of GitHub, Mark Russinovich, CTO of Microsoft Azure, and Thomas Dohmke, CEO of GitHub.
Spice AI also has notable VC backing from Madrona Venture Group, Founders' Co-op, and Picus Capital.
- About the team at spice.ai/team