Engineering Manager, Backend
San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Backend
Spin operates electric scooters in cities and campuses nationwide, bringing sustainable last-mile mobility solutions to diverse communities. Recognized for its consistent cooperation and collaboration with cities, Spin partners closely with transportation planners, elected officials, community groups, and university administrators to bring stationless mobility options to streets in a responsible and carefully orchestrated manner.
Based in San Francisco, Spin is a diverse team of engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, lawyers and operators with experience from Y Combinator, Lyft, Uber, local and federal government, and the transportation advocacy world. Spin was known for launching the first stationless mobility program in Seattle, and has since expanded to become the exclusive electric scooter partner in mid-sized cities like Coral Gables, Florida and Lexington, Kentucky, and one of a few permitted scooter operators in large cities like Denver, Detroit, and Washington, D.C. The team embeds in cities and neighborhoods to understand their specific transportation needs, and hires locally from the community.
Spin is expanding quickly and looking for top-tier talent to help us bring affordable and accessible transportation options to cities and define what future safe streets will look like.
About the Role
We're looking for an Engineering Manager with progressive backend technical experience, a demonstrated progression of management responsibility, sharp coding skills, and a passion for managing outstanding engineers in a fast-paced environment.
Our engineering team consists engineers that are passionate about creating finely polished and intuitive experiences and, at the same time, obsess over performance and reliability of what we build. We challenge the status quo and strive towards finding the best way to solve problems.
We promote being a more well rounded engineer by working on different parts of the engineering stack. We also work in very small groups to keep processes and overhead low, so we have a lot of trust and accountability to perform the work required to build the best product.
- Be a highly technical manager with deep experience in distributed systems and backend software development
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Define and drive development of an aggressive technical roadmap to meet the needs of the team, and partner teams
- Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed
- Manage engineers and team leads working to build, scale, and deploy all software
- Own the process to build and maintain a well-oiled engineering team
- Partner closely with the Product, Data and Mobile teams
- Be an effective people manager
- Help engineers and managers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote excellent performance
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in software engineering, including 3+ years of experience managing backend software engineering teams
- Experience in distributed systems, infrastructure and Ruby on Rails
- Knowledge of data science and analysis
- Process oriented and results driven
- Experience in recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management and managing engineers
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Daily catered lunch in our SF office
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Commuter stipend plus pre-tax benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
-Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.
Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.