San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Hardware
Spin operates electric scooters in cities and campuses nationwide, bringing sustainable last-mile mobility solutions to diverse communities. Recognized for its consistent cooperation and collaboration with cities, Spin partners closely with transportation planners, elected officials, community groups, and university administrators to bring stationless mobility options to streets in a responsible and carefully orchestrated manner.
Based in San Francisco, Spin is a diverse team of engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, lawyers and operators with experience from Y Combinator, Lyft, Uber, local and federal government, and the transportation advocacy world. Spin was known for launching the first stationless mobility program in Seattle, and has since expanded to become the exclusive electric scooter partner in mid-sized cities like Coral Gables, Florida and Lexington, Kentucky, and one of a few permitted scooter operators in large cities like Denver, Detroit, and Washington, D.C. The team embeds in cities and neighborhoods to understand their specific transportation needs, and hires locally from the community.
Spin is expanding quickly and looking for top-tier talent to help us bring affordable and accessible transportation options to cities and define what future safe streets will look like.
About the Role
We are looking for a mechanical engineer to help us make the best possible scooters. You will be responsible for developing new features and new scooters. You will work on everything from the brakes, to the scooter structure, to add on user features. Our scooters get very well used you will need to figure out how to take normal scooter designs and make them waterproof and bulletproof. Come up with ideas for making the scooters better and then make them a reality!
Our team consists of people that are passionate about creating finely polished and intuitive experiences and, at the same time, obsess over performance and reliability of what we build. We challenge the status quo and strive towards finding the best way to solve problems.
We work in very small groups to keep processes and overhead low, so we have a lot of trust and accountability to perform the work required to build the best product.
- Develop new vehicles and new features for existing vehicles
- Imagine and then create the features and products that would make your scooter experience better
- Take projects from concept to full deployment
- Collaborate with electrical engineers to develop scooter controls and scooter peripherals
- Work with electrical engineers, industrial designers and manufacturers to deliver beautiful products
- Change the future of transportation
Experience & Skills
- 1-4 years of experience
- Must be creative
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Proficient with Solidworks
- Must be organized
- Flexible, able to adapt projects to changing industry needs
- Excellent communication skills and a team player
- Ability to travel 25% of the year
- Experience with:
- Injection molded plastic parts
- Die cast parts
- Extruded aluminum parts
- Welded assemblies
- Designing waterproof enclosures
- Managing suppliers
- Working with contractors
- Product development from concept to validation to deployment
- Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA)
- Previous experience with light electric vehicles
- Previous experience in the automotive industry
- Previous experience in the bicycle industry
- Experience with reliability testing
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA)
- Excited about working in micro mobility
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Daily catered lunch in our SF office
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Commuter stipend plus pre-tax benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
-Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.
Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.