Associate General Counsel
San Francisco, CA
Legal – Legal
Spin operates electric scooters in cities and campuses nationwide, bringing sustainable last-mile mobility solutions to diverse communities. Recognized for its consistent cooperation and collaboration with cities, Spin partners closely with transportation planners, elected officials, community groups, and university administrators to bring stationless mobility options to streets in a responsible and carefully orchestrated manner.
Based in San Francisco, Spin is a diverse team of engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, lawyers and operators with experience from Y Combinator, Lyft, Uber, local and federal government, and the transportation advocacy world. Spin was known for launching the first stationless mobility program in Seattle, and has since expanded to become the exclusive electric scooter partner in mid-sized cities like Coral Gables, Florida and Lexington, Kentucky, and one of a few permitted scooter operators in large cities like Denver, Detroit, and Washington, D.C. The team embeds in cities and neighborhoods to understand their specific transportation needs, and hires locally from the community.
Spin is expanding quickly and looking for top-tier talent to help us bring affordable and accessible transportation options to cities and define what future safe streets will look like.
Spin is hiring an experienced Associate General Counsel. An ideal candidate must understand issues surrounding data privacy/protection, IP protection, possess a good understanding of consumer hardware and software businesses, international supply chains and sales channels, and must be able to provide strategic alternatives and ideas on both legal issues and business issues affected by legal considerations.
- Providing advice and counsel to all levels of management on the business environment, challenges, and corporate objectives
- Take an active effort in developing strategies, systems, and processes that will minimize the sources and degree of risk faced by the company on a daily basis while maintaining business objectives
- Address pertinent issues relevant to business and product initiatives including: Intellectual property protection, product compliance and safety requirements, consumer privacy and data protection
- Review, draft, negotiate, and execute business agreements, contracts, licenses, and other legal agreements with partners and investors
- Manage employment pre-litigation and litigation, including pre-litigation & agency charges (DLSE, EEOC, DOL, OSHA, etc.), discovery, motion practice, witness preparation, and trial strategies
- Partner closely with members of the People Operations Team to provide legal advice on a broad range of employment issues, such as wage and hour, employee relations investigations, pay equity, & recruiting and hiring
- Work and build trust with cross-functional partners from teams across the legal department and the company
- Work closely with and sometimes manage outside counsel
- Approving and providing, as needed, oversight in major capital expenditures, acquisitions and divestitures
- 5+ years practicing law at a leading law firm and/or in-house
- J.D. from a top-tier law school and a member of the California bar
- A proven background in one or more of the diverse areas of the law in which the organization’s General Counsel practices including, but not limited to, general corporate, human resources, contract law, nonprofit governance, legislative policy advocacy, and tax law (501c3/501c4)
- Demonstrated ability to spot potential issues, research new areas, develop new expertise and tap internal and external resources to find solutions across a broad array of issues
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, judgment, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving workplace
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
- Demonstrated work helping companies understand and shape municipal government policy
- Litigation experience a plus
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Daily catered lunch in our SF office
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Commuter stipend plus pre-tax benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
-Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.
Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.