Spire (YC W15) is looking for data scientists to join our team.
Spire builds respiration sensing wearables that take bio-sensing beyond step tracking. Our goal is to make a meaningful impact on the lives of everyone who breathes.
The Spire sensor continuously and accurately tracks respiratory parameters (such as inhalation and exhalation time, apneic events, etc.) and activity (steps, gait, posture) in realtime, streaming raw data to a smartphone or watch, and ultimately to our infrastructure. Each day we collect, store, and process over 4 billion data points. We have built and maintain one of the most interesting and largest psychophysiological datasets in the world.
Spire’s first product, a consumer wearable available at www.spire.io, uses respiratory patterns to infer a wearer’s state-of-mind (tense, calm, focused). A complementary app provides feedback that lowers tension and increases calm and focus in everyday life. Clinical applications of the device and technology are currently being piloted.
Spire is looking for data scientists to continue turning the data we collect into products with incredible impact on users’ lives. We're looking for data scientists with deep expertise in statistics, machine learning, optimization, and/or building data products. Our process gives you full ownership over the projects you tackle, so you should be a person who dreams big, then executes well.
Modeling complex relationships in the presence of many confounding factors excites you — predictive modeling problems are everywhere across our product. You’re ready to jump in and scope, design, and implement models to drive Spire's product forward; to characterize population dynamics, understand and improve user experience through data, and develop new products from existing datasets, all while maintaining the utmost respect for user privacy.
Ready to roll up your sleeves?
What you'll do
- Design and execute experiments, collect and analyze data to characterize our product.
- Architect and deploy machine learning systems to production.
- Analyze a wide variety of data: structured and unstructured, observational and experimental.
- Advise engineering and product teams on sound statistical practices.
- Translate research into algorithms in shipping products that affect our customers' lives in measurable ways. Measure those ways.
What you'll need
- A strong quantitative background. This usually means a BS, MS, or PhD in fields like Statistics, Economics, Physics, Computer Science, or Mathematics.
- Expert knowledge of probability and statistics, including experimental design, predictive modeling, optimization, and causal inference.
- Familiarity with machine learning concepts: regression and classification, clustering, feature selection, curse of dimensionality, bias-variance tradeoff, neural networks, SVMs, etc.
- Expert knowledge of a statistical language such as R or Python/pandas and relational datastores (relational modeling and actually writing SQL).
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills.
- Familiarity with a scripting language and/or shell scripting.
- Nice to have: Experience with large-scale distributed systems and/or micro-scale embedded systems. Spire gives new meaning to "full-stack" :)
- Nice to have: Experience with tools in the Hadoop ecosystem such Hive, Pig, or Spark.
- Nice to have: Geospatial data processing experience.
What you'll get
- A chance to fundamentally change the way people think about and improve their health.
- Competitive salary and significant equity in a well-funded, high-growth company.
- A defined problem to solve, a close-knit team, and significant opportunities for growth.
- Healthcare, dental, unlimited vacation, and an unlimited Amazon budget.
- Relocation (to SF) and/or visa assistance if needed.
Work with an incredibly driven team that loves building things together. And never eat lunch at your desk — it’s our only office rule.
Spire’s investors include Y Combinator, Rock Health, Stanford, Mayo Clinic, Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers, and major unnamed strategic partners.
Come join us.