Sr. User Researcher
New York, NY
Product – Design
Music does something to us.
Bliss, flow, high... call it what you want, but you know it when you feel it. It’s when you’re making music and you’re in the zone. Headphones on, and it’s just flowing out of you. It’s when the sun comes up and the DJ drops a track that just hits the spot. A deeper moment, with a deeper connection to it. Those moments are not ordinary. They’re not everyday. They’re transcendent.
Now imagine a world with more of these moments. That’s the world we believe in. And it’s what we’re here to create.
At Splice, we seek to empower all musicians to realize their creative potential and unleash it on the world. We do this by relentlessly serving them, evolving their creative process and developing opportunities for them to thrive.
We are hiring a Senior UX Researcher to deepen our strong connection to musicians and musicianship.
As a Senior UX Researcher at Splice you will:
- Drive the overall research strategy and execution for all products at Splice. You will be our first research hire. We would deeply consider hiring additional staff based on your strategy.
- Serve as the company leader and directly responsible for insights on musician behavior.
- Build trust with musicians. Always.
- Synthesize research into meaningful directions for design.
- Anticipate future needs of musicians. You will actively shape, not just respond to, the way people make music.
- Identify the most powerful, interesting, and relevant questions to ask, and collaborate with other designers to imagine and create the most appropriate methods to answer them.
- Go out into the field to build empathy for the creative needs of all musicians. Find patterns from music and other creative fields. You might conduct interviews in music studios, concerts, backstage at 1am, in people’s homes, shadow someone through their day, or even create your own music.
- Debrief and discuss user feedback with cross-disciplinary teams.
- Share stories from the field to inspire the entire Splice team, and to provoke smart and passionate design.
- Work with a diverse set of stakeholders (co-workers, musicians at all levels, the music industry) to communicate complex concepts and to complete projects.
- Share techniques and approaches with other researchers from different backgrounds and disciplines, and grow your skills by learning from them too.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- You share our vision.
- You care about quality. It drives you.
- You want to commit your precious time to the service of music culture and creativity.
- Your sense of empathy is rooted deeply in authentic emotional connection.
- Your listening and inquiry skills are sharp and exacting.
- You can demonstrate a strong portfolio of professional work and, more importantly, strong rationales for your choices in work.
- Ideally, you have 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- You’re passionately curious and keenly attuned to the creative process.
- You have strong experience planning and leading research activities, such as interviews, group sessions, and observations.
- You can add a unique perspective to your research and to our teams, such as writing and storytelling, strategic thinking, and business design.
- You’re self-directed towards generating excellent work outcomes.
-You thrive in a fast-paced environment with a bias towards action.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Splice is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability or age. We strongly encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans to apply.