Design Manager - Platform Teams (Remote Eligible - EMEA)
Design and User Experience – Platform /
The Platform team creates the technology that enables Spotify to learn quickly and scale easily, enabling rapid growth in our users and our business around the globe. Spanning many disciplines, we work to make the business work; creating the frameworks, capabilities and tools needed to welcome a billion customers. Join us and help to amplify productivity, quality and innovation across Spotify.
We are looking for an experienced Design Manager to join our Platform Developer Experience - Spotify’s division that is dedicated to building out world class developer tools and Client Platform - Spotify’s division that is focused on mobile and client engineers.
While we are focused on building out internal tools and infrastructure, we take a human-centric product approach where UX and design is a critical component. In this role you will have the opportunity to interact with many roles and functions across Spotify and together with our product teams work to improve the platform user experience.
What you'll do
- Co-lead a team of designers working on different complex problems and B2B software.
- Guide the design team through their day to day work while also keeping an eye on the bigger picture and driving the overall vision.
- Provide context, support and guidance as the team works toward our business objectives — you will inspire, not merely direct.
- Identify and grow talent within the design team, setting them up for success through mentorship and coaching.
- Collaborate closely with product, insights and tech counterparts to shape a vision for the platform.
- Creatively integrate and build on top of Backstage.
- You are willing to get hands-on, partnering closely with other designers and/or engineering teams.
Who you are
- You have 3+ years practical management experience with designers in an agile product development environment, and you are able to foster and grow the culture in cross-functional teams through advocacy.
- You’re comfortable working with partners to create holistic solutions involving both internal and external technology and products.
- You are a leader with practical design chops you don’t mind dusting off from time-to-time. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a fantastic communicator and storyteller.
- You are people-focused and have the right balance of gut, pragmatic intuition and a user and data-focused design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your team’s instincts through a variety of inputs – including trend analysis, benchmarks, feedback and data insight.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends — you never stop pushing into the next big challenge and fit right in to our growth-focused culture.
- You thrive in coaching teams to balance short term needs while keeping an eye on and contributing to long term strategic goals.
- You are comfortable with balancing the needs of the larger design ecosystem with the local goals of your mission.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting a portfolio of work that represents who you are as a designer and leader. Applications without a portfolio are unlikely to be considered.
Where you'll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the EMEA region in which we have a work location and is within working hours.
- Working hours? We operate within the Central European and GMT time zones for collaboration and ask that all be located that time zone.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 345 million users.