Data Scientist - Podcasts (Remote Eligible - Americas)
New York, NY /
Data and Analytics – Creation Platform Mission /
Spotify’s goal is to become the world’s leading audio platform, and the Studios organization -- including The Ringer, Gimlet, and Parcast -- drives the strategy to build and acquire engaging podcast content in support of this mission. The Studios Analytics team partners with the Studios organization, generating insights to enable data-driven decision-making and further Spotify’s global content creation, acquisition, and curation efforts.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to conduct analysis of user listening behavior in support of Spotify’s podcast strategy. You will analyze how users are engaging with podcast content, define measures of success, identify trends, and make data-driven recommendations that enable the Studios organization to deliver content that delights our users. This role will have a particular emphasis on understanding the distribution of content within the product, and will work closely with the Podcast Editorial team in support of their curation efforts!
A successful candidate should love content, be deeply curious, and be comfortable solving unstructured business problems by exploring large datasets. You should have a strong sense for data visualization and design, a keen understanding of which metrics matter and which don’t, and possess strong communication skills to interface between technical and content business teams!
What you'll do:
- Conduct analysis of large datasets, extracting insights from user listening data that will drive content decision-making.
- Define measures of success for podcast-related initiatives.
- Develop and communicate recommendations to non-technical audiences determined by data.
- Build dashboards and self-service tools to enable ongoing monitoring of trends.
- Develop a deep appreciation of the podcast content landscape and how users engage with podcasts.
Who you are:
- Deeply curious; interested in how people interact with content, and podcasts specifically. Though not required, previous experience in media, entertainment, or technology is a plus.
- 3+ years of proven experience in an analytics role, and a degree in a quantitative field (e.g. statistics, economics, computer science)
- Comfortable navigating large datasets (advanced SQL), and using programming languages for analytics (Python/R).
- Experience visualizing data and/or building dashboards. Natural communicator, who focuses just as much on the delivery and the “so what” of your insights, as you do on the technical craft of extracting them. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Deep understanding of statistics and experience working with real-world data, as well as a strong business sense.
- Excellent problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail.
Where you'll be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 345 million users.