Data Engineer - SDK
Data and Analytics – Consumer Experience
Delivering the best Spotify experience possible. To as many people as possible. In as many moments as possible. That’s what the Experience team is all about. We use our deep understanding of consumer expectations to enrich the lives of millions of our users all over the world, bringing the music and audio they love to the devices, apps and platforms they use every day. Know what our users want? Join us and help Spotify give it to them.
We are hiring software engineers who are passionate about data to focus on building structured, high-quality data solutions. These solutions will be used to evolve our products bringing better experiences to our 200+ million users and the global artist community alike. This role is in the SDK Product Area, which is based in Stockholm and is bridging the Spotify experience into your favorite devices. We identify what is the user behaviour across multiple devices capable of playing Spotify, speakers, TVs, gaming consoles, everything you can think of. We work with some of the largest, upcoming, and influential partners in every category to own and deliver the best audio experience. We are processing petabytes of data using tools such as BigQuery, Dataflow and patterns like Pub/Sub. When needed, we also develop our own data tooling such as Scio, a Scala API for Apache Beam and Luigi, a Python framework for scheduling.In SDK you will join the ranks of our talented developers, and insightful product managers, to help make an impact in the fastest growing area of the company.
What you'll do
- Take ownership over the business data generated in our systems that are critical for Spotify's success.
- Optimize our platforms for efficiency and reliability at scale
- Identify areas of architectural improvement to make remove the potential for human error
- Scale our data pipelines and process to every existing Spotify client
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams to create innovative solutions to challenging problems
- Build out a testing strategy to ensure correctness and reliability of our generated data
- Understand the data we collect from our systems and how it relates to the business value being produced
- Instrument our backend systems to provide all the needed signals to build a great product
Who you are
- You don’t like leaving questions unanswered and you love exploring/understanding data
- You have relevant experience in creating pipelines for large data sets
- You are familiar with ETL
- You are familiar with Java and backend development
- You are passionate about crafting clean code and have a steady foundation in coding and building data pipelines (especially in Python or Scala)
- You love to be the bridge between engineering and analysis to have an impact on the product
- You are interested in optimizing workflows and working with backend systems
- You seek to participate in continuous improvement efforts such as software development, planning, estimating, developing, testing
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It's in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 258 million users.