Associate Director, Payments Strategy & Innovation
Freemium – Operations and Strategy /
As the world’s largest audio streaming subscription service, Spotify enables millions of creators to make a living from their art by connecting them with the people who love it. It’s here that you’ll help grow our users and subscribers by growing the Freemium experience and help to enable new monetisation opportunities with our growing creator community; transforming user and market insights into meaningful innovations and ensuring our platform is available whenever and wherever our users want to listen & participate.
Spotify’s Payments team is responsible for managing the growth, stability and future direction of Spotify’s approach to payments globally. The Payments Strategy & Innovation Team is responsible for the payments strategy and medium-term focus areas that will enable Spotify’s growth ambitions and ensure we continue to meet user needs across our ecosystem. This involves collaborating with the wider team and business to research and assess internal and external payment trends and needs as they relate to Spotify and then managing specific initiatives through to execution where relevant.
We are now looking for an outstanding Associate Director to join our Payments Strategy & Innovation team. This role will report to the Director, Payments Strategy & Innovation and will play a key part in defining and implementing Spotify’s payments strategy as well as leading Spotify’s activity within the Libra stablecoin project and wider digital asset & cryptocurrency space.
This role is based in our London or Stockholm offices with frequent travel between the two offices and other company locations, (when practical).
What you'll do
- Play a key role in defining Spotify’s global payment strategy and medium-term focus areas to meet the needs of our ecosystem of consumers, creators and advertisers.
- You will assess the global payments landscape, looking at both the present day and future developments and understand the impact for Spotify.
- You will lead Spotify’s day-to-day engagement with Diem (formerly Libra).
- You will drive further consideration of new opportunities and innovation in the emerging ecosystem of distributed ledger technology, blockchains, cryptocurrencies, stablecoins, Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) and other digital assets.
- You will make use of Spotify's global footprint to seek out innovation in the payments domain globally as well as emerging regulatory & market trends that could influence Spotify's approach to payments.
- In addition to strategy development for payments, you will lead and execute on specific strategic initiatives, working closely with commercial, product and engineering teams.
- You will evangelise the payments strategy & capabilities internally and externally to all key stakeholders and help to build and lead a communications plan to help build Spotify’s reputation as a market leader in payments.
Who you are
- You are commercially minded with substantial experience in strategy and execution.
- You have extensive relevant work experience as a thought leader, with significant professional exposure to the online payments and e-commerce space and a deep knowledge of international payments and regulatory developments for payments, ideally at a global level.
- You have extensive experience in developing strategies and solution in blockchain/digital assets and an appetite to drive participation at a global scale
- You have extensive experience in developing strategy within the payments environment and a track record in deriving insights and developing recommendations and action plans.
- You are skilled at leading and executing complex projects spanning multiple stakeholders and know how to get things done in a larger organisation where you are not always in direct control of all the resources and competencies to get the job done.
- You have a strong track record of interacting collaboratively with colleagues in tech and product domains.
- You have a highly analytical and data-driven approach to decision making, extremely rigorous when it comes to numbers and can easily conceptually get your head around complex multi-variable optimisation problems.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and high energy environment and are comfortable with ambiguity.
- You are an experienced strategic storyteller with a track record in developing compelling narratives for a diverse range of audiences.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and care about building trust and credibility at all levels.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 320 million users.