Principal Product Designer – Free Business
New York, NY
Design and User Experience – Free Tier
Music for everyone, no credit card needed. It’s a promise our platform was built on. And here in the Free team, we’re still building on it. We work on a massive scale, bringing people from all kinds of disciplines and all parts of the business together to deliver an amazing freemium experience to more than 129 million users worldwide. Want to help shape the future of free? Here’s how.
We’re searching for a Principal Product Designer to join our New York-based Free Design team.
Your initial focus will be on Podcast Monetization, diving deep to understand the medium’s unique strengths in order to build exceptional products that serve the needs of advertisers, creators and listeners alike. Podcasting is a critical frontier for Spotify, one that provides creators with a powerful means of sustaining their craft by facilitating conversations through the power of audio. From the perspective of our listeners, you’ll help us challenge the current boundaries of the medium, looking closely at how marketing and messaging can affect and further the user experience. For creators and advertisers, you’ll investigate how we can help unite these parties, finding mutual fit across beliefs, values and audiences while streamlining the production process and removing bottlenecks. How does the UX, underlying logic, systems, and tooling all fit together? You’ll build strategies, prototypes and tools that will bring this vision to life, then work with cross-functional partners across the company to execute against it.
We are excited to continue to both improve our existing offering and come up with what’s next. Our goal is connecting the listeners to the content they love through our promotional touchpoints, while expanding our footprint in the digital audio marketplace, creating best-in-class tools, products and features. We seek to craft innovative new promotional experiences for brands and artists alike that connects listeners to the content they love. We want someone who sees this intersection of promotion and content as an exciting problem space. How can advertising, promotion, marketing and messaging enable great free listening experiences through a thoughtful balance of what’s good for business with the need to empower and protect our listeners? Together, we’ll look holistically at how we continue bringing people the content they want while making our Spotify experience smarter, contextually appropriate, and relevant.
What you’ll do
- You’ll lead multiple projects across the entire product lifecycle. You’ll set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate.
- Employ your strength in storytelling to present your vision and design rationale in a compelling, convincing manner to the wider team.
- You'll work with multi-disciplinary teams on strategic, epic-level, cross-company initiatives that intersect multiple teams and business units. You’ll proactively partner with designers, researchers, product managers and engineers to arrive at elegant, practical and forward-thinking solutions to big design challenges.
- You’ll take your seat at the cross-functional leadership table to inform the vision and strategy of the work that we do.
- Consider the two-sided nature of the problem space. You’ll play in audio-forward, multimodal spaces, introducing new ways for listeners to engage with ads and promoted content. You’ll explore how these experiences span different user types, situations and devices. You’ll work to define the systems and tooling that power these experiences.
- You’ll apply big-picture thinking to break down open-ended opportunities into actionable next steps. You will realize these ideas with the appropriate level of detail and fidelity at every phase, while tailoring those outputs for a variety of stakeholders.
- You’ll operate autonomously, defining and providing the business unit with systems to best execute against current and future strategy. You’ll drive progress through obstacles by balancing collaboration, alignment and decisiveness - taking responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- You can flexibly operate across different types of engagements. You love to think big, but you know when it makes sense to go deep. You can help lay the groundwork to set new problem spaces up for success, and you can provide exceptional hands-on execution as necessary.
- You’ll help us push the envelope and keep the best interests of all of our users (listeners, artists, marketers and advertisers) at heart. The ad-tech domain is fast-paced, prone to dark UX patterns (which we want to avoid), and not necessarily intuitive. We are hoping to challenge those antiquated values, and an existing understanding and ability to evangelize is valuable for the role.
Who you are
- You have 10+ years of related experience designing at consumer-focused tech companies or digital agencies; experience designing for mobile is required.
- You are comfortable in uncharted territories where design hasn’t historically found itself or where the rules and engagements aren’t already established. You can geek out by being a part of a team of pioneers bringing human-centered design into some of the foundational systems that drive our business.
- You are an incredible designer with strong design chops. Having shipped many products over the years, you know how to address the entire ecosystem, balancing both business-to-consumer and business-to-business considerations.
- You are passionate about design systems and well-versed in data-informed product design and development.
- You have experience working in an agile environment with fellow design, product, engineering and insights leaders to align on product strategy and make great things as a team.
- You are someone who has an appreciation for the role that advertising, messaging & promotion can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organization. You understand the impact we can have in this space and recognize the opportunity to inject the perspective of our users into a space that’s typically brushed them aside.
- You have a people-focused design mentality. You enjoy solving problems, big and small, glamorous and not, for all kinds of users. You are constantly looking to hone your executions through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
- You care about the impact of your work. You have experience tracking usage of the things you build, and using the data collected to verify its effectiveness.
- You’re an expert in your craft, but you recognize the importance of setting aside the time and space to learn and grow.
- You’re a fantastic team player, communicator and facilitator. You have the communication skills and people-focused design mentality to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts.
- You have the ability to mentor others to deliver incredible work and make strategy come to life.
- You have an online portfolio, or PDF that you can share with us.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting relevant entries in your portfolio.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It's in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 286 million users.