Staff Typographer - Design Platform
Design and User Experience – Platform /
The Platform team creates the technology that enables Spotify to learn quickly and scale easily, enabling rapid growth in our users and our business around the globe. Spanning many disciplines, we work to make the business work; creating the frameworks, capabilities and tools needed to welcome a billion customers. Join us and help to amplify productivity, quality and innovation across Spotify.
We are looking for a Staff Typographer to join our Design Systems team inside Spotify's Design Platform. We drive excellence in the User Experience by scaling product design aspects through systems, tools, and approaches.
Excellence in typography is a crucial element to ensure legibility, accessibility, and cultural expression across many platforms, devices, and languages serving our global customers.
What you'll do
- Helping to implement the future of Spotify’s typographic expression, across product and marketing, at scale.
- Leading the testing and technical QA process, including custom tooling and plugins, integrating with our established design systems processes, and seeing opportunities for innovation and efficiency improvements.
- Coaching other designers on typographic craft, to uplevel the technical competency across design, helping to increase innovation and effectiveness.
- Collaborating closely with external foundries, product managers, user researchers, engineers, and fellow designers, to test and prototype cross-platform product implementations.
- Engaging disparate partners across Design, Brand and Creative, and Design Platform teams to understand needs, build alignment, and define specifications and requirements together.
Who you are
- Proven experience developing type families across product and marketing experiences.
- A deep investment in design excellence, usability, and accessibility.
- You are experienced with modern development practices, especially in relation to type design (Python scripting, variable fonts).
- An ability to collect and synthesize information, and can confidently and coherently communicate across teams and levels across the organization.
- You are an exceptional Typographer with great attention to detail
- You are a strategic problem solver familiar with advances in fonts and technical capabilities to scale across platforms and devices
- You understand type related nuances in cultural expression as well as the technical aspects of accurate localization
- You can rationalize and prove the importance of type in collaboration with our insights teams and share these with partners
- You are capable of thinking at a high level about product and brand strategy.
Where you'll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the EMEA region in which we have a work location and is within working hours
- Working hours? We operate within the Central European and GMT time zones for collaboration and ask that all be located in that time zone
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service.
Global COVID and Vaccination Disclosure
Spotify is committed to safety and well-being of our employees, vendors and clients. We are following regional guidelines mandating vaccination and testing requirements, including those requiring vaccinations and testing for in-person roles and event attendance. For the US, we have mandated that all employees and contractors be fully vaccinated in order to work in our offices and externally with any third-parties. For all other locations, we strongly encourage our employees to get vaccinated and also follow local COVID and safety protocols.