Software Engineering Manager
Lincoln, NE /
Software & Technology – Engineering /
Spreetail is an ecommerce company that connects brands with customers wherever they love to shop online. We delight our customers every day by putting our technology, marketing, and supply chain to work for them behind the scenes. Born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska, Spreetail has grown into offices and fulfillment centers in 8 cities across 6 states.
Spreetail's Software team, known internally as Toolkit, consists of Engineering, Product Management, and User Experience. This team builds a completely home-grown software to compete against top players in the ecommerce industry. The software controls our business from beginning to end: ordering, marketing, inventory, customer service, and accounting. We use the latest and greatest libraries and development methodologies to build elegant solutions to complex, real-world problems.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will:
- Actively seek feedback on current software, tools and processes and take an active role in building the solution. You collaborate with other leads, product managers, and delivery managers to smoothly run the agile development process and to ensure understanding and execution of engineering vision for product identity.
- Actively and constructively give and receive feedback to drive team success; you communicate where people stand honestly and sensitively.
- Support project completion amidst adversity with a positive attitude; able to shift in a quickly changing environment
- Message and reinforce the vision, purpose and strategy of the Engineering team. You demonstrate engagement, promoting a sense of urgency and establish and enforce a sense of accountability.
- Maintain a positive attitude and solutions-focused mindset so your teammates and business stakeholders look forward to working with you; you tackle difficult issues with optimism and confidence.
- Have a high attention to detail and focus on the quality of the teams application(s), as well as the continual review of where processes can be made more efficient.
- Build and maintain great relationships with your technology partners and business stakeholders. You are able to influence and escalate as needed to drive key business outcomes.
- Be a technical expert and your teammates and stakeholders learn from you.
- Translate status, needs and gaps upward to Software and Technology leadership to drive productivity and departmental goal achievement.
- Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and desire to harness benefits of new technology.
- Advocate for continuous improvement within the squads as well as a culture that supports change; Supports overall technical direction of the organization.
- Contribute to overall roadmap for product identity.
Who are you:
- 5+ years progressive experience in an engineering role, building solutions from the ground up that support major business functions.
- Demonstrate project leadership and commitment to continuously grow and maintain their technical skillset.
- Able to contribute to technical direction at the level of a Software Engineer III.
- Experienced being immersed in engineering functions, understanding the various engineering and business processes.
- Passionate about building efficient solutions to complex business problems, you step forward to lead and tackle challenging assignments.
- Experienced with software design and architecture skills.
- Experience in multiple software languages.
- Experienced leading project/initiative teams to successful outcomes.
- Able to dissect and understand business processes and translate them to engineering tasks, while also able to translate engineering concepts back to business stakeholders.
- Able to break high-level business requirements into technical requirements in order to align with your product identities long term vision and alter the vision as needed as business needs evolve.
- Able to work closely and productively with product management to scope incoming software requests.
- Accountable for non-functional requirements, software quality, defects that make it to production, and root-cause analysis of incidents in a particular area.
- Proactive to problem solving; you ask the right questions to accurately analyze situations.
- Responsible for performance management of your team and supporting their career development.
- You create an environment of knowledge sharing and growth, placing a high priority on leading and developing others through coaching, feedback, stretch assignments, and exposure to other departments/leaders; you help developers make the best engineering decisions and gain the best insights.
- Able to dissect and understand business processes and translate them to engineering tasks.
- Technical Communication: Ability to translate engineering concepts and needs to a common language that business stakeholders can understand.
•Unit Appreciation Rights: Up to 5% of yearly salary; based upon company and team performance
•Company Bonus: Up to 5% of yearly salary; based upon company and team performance
•Health Insurance: Spreetail offers two plans:
-Aetna PPO: Spreetail covers 100% of premiums for employees and 50% for your spouse and dependents included on the plan.
-Aetna HDHP HSA Plan: Spreetail will contribute $500 to an HSA for an employee-only plan or $1000 for your spouse and dependents included on the plan.
•Dental Insurance: Spreetail will pay half of the dental coverage for you/spouse/family plans
• 401k: Spreetail partners with ForUsAll to provide the opportunity to invest in your future with pre-tax and post-tax plan options
•Paid Time Off: untracked time off
•Wedding Week: Enjoy an additional 5 paid days off before or after your wedding
•Creating a Home: After 2 years of employment, Spreetail will give you $5,000 when you buy a home
•Year 3 Vacation: After 3 years of employment, you will be eligible for an all-inclusive vacation
•Year 5 Sabbatical: After 5 years of employment, you will be eligible for a 2-week paid sabbatical
•Donation Matching: Spreetail will match your donation dollar for dollar, up to $250 a
year and up to $1,000 if you've been here for 5 years
•Community Involvement: Spreetail encourages employees to take time off for volunteer opportunities throughout the year, including a semi-annual volunteer week in every community we serve
•Product Discount: Enjoy a 20% discount on the products we sell
Equal Opportunity Employer
Spreetail is an equal opportunity employer that hires based on stellar qualifications, positive attitude, and exemplary work ethic rather than factors like age, gender identity, race, nationality, religion, or sexuality.