Chief Financial Officer
San Francisco, California, United States /
Featured Roles – Featured Roles /
At Springboard, we’re on a mission to bridge the world’s skills gap, offering transformative online education experiences in data science, UI/UX design, machine learning, and software engineering. Our courses are project-based, mentor-supported, and above all, geared towards great career outcomes — so much so that we offer a “job guarantee” (get a job in 6 months or your money back) and deferred tuition (don’t pay until you get a job). Our approach has helped thousands of learners revamp their careers and, by extension, their lives, with a near-perfect placement rate for our grads.
As the Chief Financial Officer at Springboard, you will drive the metrics, processes and forecasting to support our growth and decision making, ultimately impacting the strategic growth of the company and ensuring its financial health. This role reports to the CEO and will lead the finance, accounting functions, and related systems to ensure that the quality and accuracy of financial reporting are maintained to company and investor standards and in accordance with applicable accounting standards. You will build and manage a team to execute on the FP&A and business operations required for success. You will identify how financial and operating performance can be maximized and foresee how business decisions and customer requests impact the business’ performance.
Measurements of success:
- Building predictable financial performance (strong FP&A, budget-setting) and cement credibility with internal/external stakeholders (metrics, tracking, reporting).
- Optimizing company performance by identifying business problems, and collaborating cross-functionally with leaders across the org to find and implement solutions.
- Sourcing, signing and managing deals with providers of non-dilutive capital to finance deferred tuition receivables
- Build and maintain robust operating and financial models; manage annual budgets; oversee quarterly planning process; track performance against forecast
- Develop a holistic understanding of the company's financing needs and options. Source and close deals for non-dilutive financing, e.g. debt financing against deferred tuition receivables. Support VC fundraising conversations
- Develop a strong “feel” for the business & operations. Constantly suggest and implement ways to improve business performance
- Work with GMs & functional heads to establish product-level P&Ls and department budgets
- Use influence to improve unit economics, e.g. optimize pricing, discounts, gross margins
- Initiate projects to optimize cash flow and burn rate. E.g. Work with Customer Success to minimize "leakage"
- Work with Sales to build Sales plans, quotas, etc.
- Oversee operations including facilities, etc.
- Oversight or direct responsibility of all month-end close process, FP&A, treasury, tax, accounting, payroll. Establish/optimize A/P and A/R processes. Oversee accounting and book-keeping (currently outsourced)
- Track and report key company metrics internally and externally (e.g. board, investors, financing partners)
- Support strategy and execution for potential acquisitions
- Work with Tech/Product teams to build internal features that support the Finance org
- Experience with companies of our size and stage ($10-100M in revenue), ideally as a member of the team
- “Operational” experience: either 5+ years in strategy consulting or private equity, OR 5+ years in a Senior Finance/Ops role reporting to the CEO
- Deep expertise in FP&A: building and tracking against a robust operating model and 3-statement financial model; overseeing planning processes; setting and managing annual department budgets, etc.
- A generalist "athleticism" that enables you to holistically optimize various aspects of our business operations -- from facilities to course launch economics to unit economics and margins/discounts
- Proactiveness in identifying problems & finding solutions
- A high degree of leadership maturity: you build strong cross-functional relationships; engage in productive conflict; and gain the respect of your peers by having hard, intellectually-honest conversations; you can Influence without reliance on authority/rank
- Experience with non-equity capital markets, including deal experience with venture debt, receivables financing, alternative non-dilutive financing options
- Experience in controllership / bookkeeping
- Strong prioritization and analytical skills
- Experience with M&A and venture fundraising
The Springboard team of 180 works out of offices in the heart of San Francisco and Bengaluru. We’re backed by top investors, including Costanoa Ventures, Reach Capital, Learn Capital, Pearson Ventures, and the founders of LinkedIn and Princeton Review.
Working with us, you’ll enjoy competitive compensation, health insurance coverage (for employees based in California, our base plans are fully covered by Springboard; for employees based outside of California, we offer low-premium coverage), a 401k plan, a generous learning budget, team lunches and snacks, and an opportunity to impact thousands of lives alongside a fun, dedicated and mission-driven team. To learn more about our team and culture, follow us on Instagram @springboardlife!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We welcome applications from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.