Software Engineer or Data Scientist - Lead Subject Matter Expert for Update of Existing Course
San Francisco, California, United States
Educators – Course Development
At Springboard, we are on a mission to bridge the skills gap by delivering high-quality, affordable education for new economy skills. We currently offer courses in data science, data analytics, digital marketing, and UX design. One of our primary courses is our Data Science Career Track. We built a preparatory course to help potential students who have some of the prerequisites for the Career Track but do not know Python. We’re looking for an expert who has a strong background in data science and Python to help us update this preparatory course. This is a unique opportunity to put your expertise into action to impact the lives of hundreds of thousands of students.
This role will be a part-time contract role for a duration of ~2 months [starting immediately]. We estimate a workload of roughly 10-15 hours/ week. You can work with us out of our office in San Francisco or remotely. This is a paid engagement.
You’ll work with our curriculum development team to update our Data Science Career Track preparatory course.
As part of this role, you will:
- Evaluate the current Admission Challenge potential students take to get into our Data Science Career Track and identify any learning gaps between the exercises in the Data Science Career Track prep course and the Admission Challenge
- Review all syntax and identify foundational syntax that’s missing and should be taught
- Build new — or refine existing — Next.Tech exercises to address these gaps
- Identify 3-5 classic ‘learning to code in Python’ examples (like the Tower of Hanoi)
- Create 3-5 hands-on practice projects aligned with the classic examples that you identify
- Create or find 1-2 short practice challenge tests on HackerRank so that students can learn the HackerRank environment before they take the Data Science Career Track Admissions Challenge (the 3-5 hands-on practice projects listed above could also be built on HackerRank)
- Create an overview of HackerRank and how to use it
- Add tutorial resources that explain Python concepts and logic
- Data scientist or software engineer. At least 2-3 years in the data science field, more preferred
- Fluent in Python
- A degree or formal training in data science or software engineering
- Passion for teaching. Previous experience as an instructor highly preferred Hiring manager, trainer, mentor (or similar) experience is great, too!
- Demonstrated fluency in Python
- Experience creating end-to-end data-focused projects
- Clear communicator through structured, documented code
- Ability to write test cases for coding problems
- Teaching to solve coding problems
- Familiarity with the landscape of online learning resources
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines across a multi-month project
- A history of working efficiently while maintaining a high-quality bar for your work
- Clear point-of-view on what should be taught in an introductory data science course
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Passionate about education and data science
- Receptive and responsive to feedback. Willing to iterate on work
- Collaborative, flexible team player
- Self-motivated and driven
- Available for about ~80 hours between now and September 30th
- Must be available to connect 2-3 hours a week during PST working hours
- Can be remote or work from our SF office
The Springboard team of 100 works out of offices in the heart of San Francisco and Bengaluru. We’re backed by top investors, including Costanoa Ventures, Learn Capital, 500 Startups, Rocketship.vc, and the founders of LinkedIn, Princeton Review, InMobi, and AppDynamics.
Working with us, you’ll enjoy competitive compensation, full health insurance coverage, a 401k plan, a generous learning budget, team lunches and snacks, and an opportunity to impact thousands of lives alongside a fun, dedicated and mission-driven team. To learn more about our team and culture, follow us on Instagram @springboardlife!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We welcome applications from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.