Senior Backend Engineer
New York City (remote) /
Engineering & Product /
Our mission: helping individuals and organizations thrive by eliminating every barrier to mental health.
Spring Health is a mental health company founded in 2016 with a mission of using leading technology to help people feel better — faster. We help large employers better manage the mental health burden in their companies. Our peer-reviewed and published clinical technology allows us to deliver care better, faster, and cheaper.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our team. You will help to define our product and engineering roadmaps and work as a part of a cross-functional product team to find elegant solutions to mental healthcare’s many problems. Additionally, you will guide the growth of the engineering team as a senior member and leader. We are an award-winning, passionate, and mission-driven team with the support of leaders in psychiatry, and backed by prominent VCs including Rethink, RRE, and General Catalyst.
What you’ll be doing
- Design and expand the capabilities of our GraphQL API (built with Ruby on Rails) which powers several web apps and a mobile app, all of which are used to to screen, diagnose, and provide care for patients
- Build on the foundation of a well tested codebase to ensure it remains robust and scalable as our business rapidly grows
- Help us make decisions like “grow the monolith” or “break things up into microservices” (or some other great idea!)
- Plan for the future by architecting systems that will scale as usage and capabilities increase
- Work as part of the engineering leadership team to build a great engineering culture
- Occasionally improve our other services which are written in PHP and Go (knowledge of those is nice to have but not required!)
- 5+ years of back-end web development experience
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Docker & AWS
- Bonus points for GraphQL API design experience
- Comfortable working on an agile team and curious about learning new things
- Enjoy using test driven development and pair programming
- Enjoy coaching & growing engineers
- Comfortable moving fast and working through ambiguity - we are a small startup and are working on balancing the demands of business growth and platform reliability
Why you’ll like working at Spring Health
- Competitive compensation plan including equity in the company: we want you to own a piece of what you’re building.
- Comprehensive benefits: we offer health, dental and vision benefits as well as access to Spring Health!
- Flexible vacation plan: our open vacation-policy allows you to take the time off you need when you need it.
- Great people: make an impact on something that truly helps people alongside an incredible team.
- We care about diversity: diversity allows us to build an excellent patient experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.