Plano, TX /
General and Administrative – Legal /
Full time work anywhere
Spruce is the platform enabling modern real estate transactions. We work with forward thinking mortgage lenders, real estate companies and investors, and we believe the future of real estate will be driven by automation, efficiency and digital experiences, and we provide the products and services necessary to make that happen.
About the Job
Spruce is looking for an experienced Title Officer & Paralegal to join its growing Legal & Compliance team. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in residential title insurance and will thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
As a part of the Legal & Compliance team, you will help drive the success of our real estate operations and underwriting team as well as increase the efficiency of our legal and compliance support functions. Your ability to perform core title examination and underwriting tasks in support of our underwriting counsel and direct your organizational and fulfillment skills toward regulatory reporting and licensing obligations will help the team improve our response time and contribute more effectively to the long-term success of the business.
What you'll do
- Read, examine, prepare and amend title commitments for residential real estate transactions nationwide
- Respond to questions from internal examination, curative, funding, and closing teams and communicate with external parties as necessary
- Enter data into Spruce’s proprietary internal title system, generate and distribute supporting documentation as necessary
- Collaborate with internal teams to resolve title issues (e.g., legal descriptions, easements, lot splits, vesting, tax liens, abstracts of judgments, bankruptcies, boundary disputes, encroachments, and list pendants)
- Collaborate with the General Counsel and Finance teams to maintain Spruce’s state and local title licenses and registrations, comply with requests from regulators, fulfill audit requests, and maintain Spruce’s corporate insurance program
- Review industry publications to remain knowledgeable of changes in laws and practices affecting the issuance of title policies
- Perform any other duties delegated by management
- 4+ years in title examination / underwriting, ideally at a national agency supporting residential transactions
- 1+ years in a paralegal / compliance / office management capacity
- Working understanding of title company regulations, concepts & best practices
- Roll-up-your-sleeves, entrepreneurial attitude
- Comfort in a fast-paced, high-ambiguity startup environment
- Motivated by curiosity and eager to learn our business
We are proud of the team we’re building. We're committed to equal opportunity employment -- and beyond. We believe diverse experiences and perspectives build a stronger team and a better product. We welcome fresh perspectives and challenge our own assumptions to make Spruce better. The more inclusive we are as a company, the better we can serve our customers.