Software Engineer, QA & Security
Remote Full Time
Spruce is hiring a software engineer in QA & security to improve overall documentation, security posture, and product reliability/usability. This individual will achieve these ends through a mix of software development, technical writing, managing aspects of a security program, and automating error-prone tasks. This role will increase the leverage of the entire engineering team by saving time on repetitive tasks, ensuring policy adherence (including security protocols), and supporting engineering excellence across the organization. This is a cross-functional role that will work closely with engineers developing both decentralized identity and data related software.
- Write, update, and maintain Spruce technical documentation including targeted installation guides, quickstarts, tutorials, and more.
- Create QA plans across software deployments, open source software projects, and websites to ensure correct functionality, security best practices, appropriate access controls, and a high standard of review processes.
- Adapt to rapidly changing priorities, and set up a maintenance schedule.
- Collaborate with Spruce engineering teams to ensure documentation is up to date and reflects any recent developments, including the review and editing of documentation produced by different engineering teams.
- Implement a combination of scripted automations and manual processes that will allow developers to easily adhere to the company’s coding standards and security program.
- Take inventory, assess risks, and perform mitigations across the company’s digital properties towards compliance programs such as SOC 2 and ISO 27001.
- 2+ years of experience with software quality assurance, involving defining test harnesses, testing strategies, and results formats, then executing.
- 2+ years of experience writing software in a popular programming language in the context of web programming and/or systems programming.
- 2+ years of experience with technical writing including but not limited to basic instructions, tutorials, quickstarts, and more.
- Deep knowledge of both GitHub, Markdown, and open source software development best practices.
- Comfortable with rapid directional changes of focus in a startup environment.
- Experience collaborating with diverse project and engineering teams.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Understanding of computer security, basic use of cryptography, and principles of user data privacy.
- [BONUS] 2+ years of experience in the cybersecurity industry specifically working with software companies.
- [BONUS] Experience implementing and maintaining security compliance programs such as SOC 2 and ISO 27001.
- [BONUS] Experience with secure enclaves and hardware-based cryptography and sensitive data handling on Android and/or iOS.
- [BONUS] Bachelor's Degree in computer science, IT, engineering, or related field.
We are passionate about cultivating a thriving culture of diverse individuals who bring unique perspectives to our mission. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.