Head of Engineering
San Francisco / Remote /
At Stable, you’ll build the foundation of EV charging businesses worldwide. Our software is already used by some of the biggest EV charging operators and developers in the U.S. to deploy billions of dollars in EV infrastructure, and we’re just getting started.
You’ll work alongside a cast of software engineers, machine learning specialists, data scientists, and problem solvers to transform complex consumer behavior, energy pricing, and incentives into actionable insights that propel charging businesses toward greater scale and sustainability.
We believe that the widespread adoption of electric vehicles is crucial for a greener and more sustainable future, and by facilitating the growth and success of the EV charging ecosystem, we can propel the world towards a sustainable transportation revolution.
Our flexible working culture allows everyone to set their own schedule and location to best suit their working style around a core window of overlapping hours. That means that we’re primarily remote, but we also offer co-working access and intentionally create in-person moments to foster collaboration and connection.
We also have great healthcare plans, 401k, parental leave, and a host of other benefits. You can see the full list here: Stable Benefits.
As Stable’s Head of Engineering, you’ll provide strategic and tactical leadership to our team of full-stack engineers and data scientists. You’ll report directly to our CTO and Co-Founder, Jamie, and have broad overlap with every member of our close-knit team.
- Execution - You’ll ensure projects are executed from architecture to delivery in ways that raise the ceiling for everyone involved. This might come from direct project management or indirect facilitation within the team.
- Strategy - You’ll work closely with pretty much all members of our team—product management, marketing, sales, customer success, business development, and engineering—to facilitate and enact clear, prioritized technical strategies.
- Process - You’ll orchestrate practices and processes that enable our team to do their best work, and enhance overall effectiveness and velocity.
- Recruiting - We’re in the fortunate position that our business is growing quickly. You’ll define and drive staffing decisions and org structures that help us build a durable team.
- Culture - You’ll model a strong engineering culture by facilitating clarity, autonomy and collaboration.
- A great builder of talent - via hiring, hiring processes, 1:1 mentoring, career development, goal setting, and performance management.
- Deep technical expertise - either in data science, machine learning, or web applications, but broad experience in all three. This gives you a thorough understanding of your teams’ domains, and the skills to dive deep when necessary and guide all levels of engineers.
- You get things done - you have a history of building accountability and success by setting measurable outcomes (vs outputs) for your teams.
- Strategic-minded - you have an exceptional understanding of technology best practices, and history of making informed tradeoffs in partnership with company leaders.
- Scrappy - you’re willing to roll up your sleeves to get the unglamorous work done too.
- Startup experience - you’ve worked in multiple startup engineering teams before in a leadership or management capacity, building and delivering software products.
- Great communicator - you communicate clearly and effectively with technical and non-technical audiences.
- A mindset of growth - you’re excited to learn and grow as our company does.
- A natural optimist - where others see problems, you see opportunities for new and better solutions.
- A passion for understanding users - you’re excited to get up every day and get to know our users a little better. For Stable, that means you have a strong interest in learning about (or already understand, e.g. from an adjacent field such as solar) how EV infrastructure gets deployed including financing, energy contracts, design & build, and operations.
Stable is an equal-opportunity employer. Whatever it is that makes you, well, you--whether it be race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or anything else—we’d love to hear from you. And we welcome applicants based anywhere in the U.S.