Senior Software Engineer - Full Stack
Engineering – Engineering /
Starburst is the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for a data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. Our software provides fast and easy access to data, no matter where it lives, with a best-in-class MPP SQL engine that shortens the path to value for data. The Starburst Enterprise Platform leverages the power of the open source Trino (formerly PrestoSQL) to query data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. Our SaaS offering, Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of Trino and Starburst in an easy to use, fully-managed enterprise-ready multi-cloud SaaS platform designed by Trino’s original creators and experts.
With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded with customers and revenue from the very beginning. Our customers love us, we operate globally, and we are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
A key value driver for Starburst is its streamlined, easy-to-use, delightful user interfaces and workflows. As a full-stack engineer on Starburst Galaxy, Trino or Starburst Enterprise team, you’ll share ownership of building out the user experience. You’ll work closely with UX, and product management to design and build back-end and front-end components to implement new features our customers will love. Daily tasks include developing and supporting new and existing product features, working with fellow engineers around the world, learning new technologies, designing complex systems, and collaborating with various stakeholders across the organization.
What you’ll do as a Full-Stack Engineer
- On the Data Products and Governance team, you’ll build features and functionality that allows our Enterprise customers to treat data as a first-class product, with rich metadata and social features, alongside a native built-in access control experience.
- On the Growth team, you’ll share ownership of the user experience of billing while completing tactical work which defines, tracks, and improves the key customer growth metrics for Galaxy in partnership with our sales and marketing.
- On the Connect and Query team, you’ll unlock the value of distributed data by making it easy to query data from Starburst, regardless of where it lives.
- On the Observability team, you will build out our Galaxy product stack for the introspection and administration of the Galaxy product by collecting data and providing insights.
- Design and develop components to Starburst products, including a comprehensive, fully featured web-based user interface
- Participate in projects from concept to completion
- Continuously improve our engineering processes, tests, and systems that allow us to scale the code base and productivity of the team
- Collaborate with teams globally and operate in a fast paced environment
- Provide exceptional customer support for both internal and external customers
Some of the things we look for
- Passion for Software Engineering
- Experience developing software in Java
- Experience implementing web based user interfaces in TypeScript using a modern web frontend framework (React, Angular, Ember, etc)
- Prior experience building SaaS (especially for our SaaS product, Galaxy)
- Demonstration of ownership, grit, and bias for action - core values at Starburst
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Warsaw, London, Palo Alto and Tel Aviv and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.