Engineering – Engineering /
Starburst is the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for a data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. Our software provides fast and easy access to data, no matter where it lives, with a best-in-class MPP SQL engine that shortens the path to value for data. The Starburst Enterprise Platform leverages the power of the open source Trino (formerly PrestoSQL) to query data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. Our SaaS offering, Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of Trino and Starburst in an easy to use, fully-managed enterprise-ready multi-cloud SaaS platform designed by Trino’s original creators and experts.
With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded with customers and revenue from the very beginning. Our customers love us, we operate globally, and we are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
Starburst is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead teams building Starburst Galaxy. Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of the best-in-class MPP SQL Engine, Trino in an easy to use, fully-managed and enterprise-ready SaaS platform design by Trino’s original creators and experts.
As Engineering Manager, you will partner with Engineering and Product Leadership to deliver and execute on roadmap deliverables. You will recruit and mentor very strong software engineering talent, with years of full stack and distributed systems development experience.
- Lead at least one team of software engineers to build and manage Galaxy service.
- Be a citizen leader responsible for driving technical direction, team process, and outcomes in an agile environment
- Collaborate with engineering, product, and support stakeholders in order to find the best solutions for our business and our customers
- Proactively ensure that teams are executing efficiently by finding and removing technical barriers and dependencies before they are on the critical path
- Contributes to organizational design and planning including the allocation of engineering resources across services and capabilities
- Coach and mentor engineers of all levels, from junior to staff engineers
- Recruit, interview, hire and onboard new engineers
- Extensive software engineering experience building and operating distributed systems or SaaS service
- Previous software engineering management leading highly effective agile teams preferably in a global remote setting
- Prior experience shipping high quality and well architected production code
- Prior experience with people management responsibilities of hiring, retaining, and growing highly effective engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Warsaw, London, Palo Alto and Tel Aviv and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.