Engineering Manager - Starburst Enterprise
Engineering – Engineering /
Starburst is the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for a data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. Our software provides fast and easy access to data, no matter where it lives, with a best-in-class MPP SQL engine that shortens the path to value for data. The Starburst Enterprise Platform leverages the power of the open source Trino (formerly PrestoSQL) to query data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. Our SaaS offering, Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of Trino and Starburst in an easy to use, fully-managed enterprise-ready multi-cloud SaaS platform designed by Trino’s original creators and experts.
With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded with customers and revenue from the very beginning. Our customers love us, we operate globally, and we are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
Starburst is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead teams building Starburst Enterprise, our flagship product. Starburst Enterprise allows users to access and explore their data quickly and easily, relying on the underlying power of the open-source software, Trino.
As an Engineering Manager, you will partner with Engineering and Product Leadership to deliver and execute roadmap deliverables for Starburst Enterprise. You’ll support and mentor our dynamic, talented, global engineers while emphasizing quality at every stage of the product.
- Collaborate with technical leads and product managers to build a game-changing, fully-featured customer experience for our Starburst Enterprise customers
- Manage and motivate one or more teams of software engineers focused on various aspects of the Starburst Enterprise product
- Drive technical direction and provide leadership and transparency in an agile environment
- Define and adapt engineering processes and best practices to focus on execution and build cutting-edge software
- Work closely with leaders from other teams and departments to iterate on design and architecture
- Coach and mentor engineers of all levels, from junior engineers to technical leads
- Recruit, interview, hire, and onboard new engineers
- At least 3 years of engineering management experience with a total of 8 years or more experience
- Enthusiasm for growing strong, diverse, high-performing teams
- A passion for software engineering and interest in all phases of the agile software development lifecycle
- Appreciation for maintainable, working, high-quality software
- Demonstrable experience in shipping features and hitting deadlines consistently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and organizational skills
- Similar technology stack, e.g. Java and React
- Management of remote or hybrid teams
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Warsaw, London, Palo Alto and Tel Aviv and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.