Senior Software Engineer - Backend
United States /
Engineering – Engineering /
Starburst is the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for a data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. Our software provides fast and easy access to data, no matter where it lives, with a best-in-class MPP SQL engine that shortens the path to value for data. The Starburst Enterprise Platform leverages the power of the open source Trino (formerly PrestoSQL) to query data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. Our SaaS offering, Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of Trino and Starburst in an easy to use, fully-managed enterprise-ready multi-cloud SaaS platform designed by Trino’s original creators and experts.
With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded with customers and revenue from the very beginning. Our customers love us, we operate globally, and we are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
As a backend engineer for the Galaxy Product, you’ll work with Trino’s original creators and experts to exceed our customers’ expectations for optimizing core of Trino to run on public clouds, building a scalable platform for operating Galaxy and building product security features around Identity and Access Management. Daily tasks will include developing new product features, supporting our product in production, building tools, and collaborating with various stakeholders to ensure the security of the service.
As a Backend Engineer
- On the Galaxy Identity and Access Control team, you will develop, debug, and support the Identity and Access Management components of the product including SSO, Role-Based Access Control, and Attribute-Based Access Control.
- On the Trino Cloud Engine team, you will optimize the core of Trino to run it effectively at scale on public cloud infrastructure.
- On the Observability team, you will provide comprehensive tooling, and the underlying infrastructure primitives, for the introspection and administration of the Starburst Galaxy product. This requires modifying both Trino and Starburst Galaxy services to maximize introspection while owning infrastructure that ensures that relevant data is surfaced in an accessible way to both internal and external customers.
- Design, Develop and Operate core components of the Starburst Galaxy Control Plane.
- Contribute to secure architecture and design of Starburst Galaxy, SEP or Trino
- Build and implement security solutions across the product lifecycle, such as standalone security tools, CI/CD pipeline integrations, product security features/fixes, etc.
- Assist in execution of 3rd-party audits, penetration tests, and bug bounty programs.
- Provide considerate and timely review of your peers' pull requests and design proposals
Some of the things we look for
- Prior experience developing distributed systems
- Extensive software development experience with Java
- Demonstrated experience with software engineering and design best practices.
- Prior experience with software development in Authentication, Authorization or Audit a huge plus
- Demonstration of ownership, grit, and bias for action - core values at Starburst
The base salary range for this US full-time position is $140,000 - $230,000, subject to standard withholding and applicable taxes. All candidates receive equity (ISO) and access to a comprehensive benefits offering. The base salary range reflects the minimum and maximum target for candidates across all US locations. Work location, skills, experience, and any relevant education or training determine the compensation awarded to the candidate. The Recruiting Team or Hiring Manager can share more about the specific salary range with you during the recruitment process.
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Warsaw, London, Palo Alto and Tel Aviv and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.