Senior Software Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure
Engineering – Engineering /
Starburst is the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for a data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. Our software provides fast and easy access to data, no matter where it lives, with a best-in-class MPP SQL engine that shortens the path to value for data. The Starburst Enterprise Platform leverages the power of the open source Trino (formerly PrestoSQL) to query data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. Our SaaS offering, Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of Trino and Starburst in an easy to use, fully-managed enterprise-ready multi-cloud SaaS platform designed by Trino’s original creators and experts.
With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded with customers and revenue from the very beginning. Our customers love us, we operate globally, and we are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
As an infrastructure engineer on the fully distributed Starburst Galaxy Reliability, Scalability, & Efficiency team, you’ll own the reliability, scalability and efficiency (performance/$) of Starburst Galaxy IaaS/SaaS as we grow. You will help design and build core infrastructure around Trino of the Galaxy Product itself, as well as build “the machine that builds the machine” that is used to operate our SaaS at scale. Daily tasks will include developing the backend infrastructure related to product features, building operational tooling, supporting our product in production, and driving collaboration with various stakeholders around the reliability, scalability and efficiency of Starburst Galaxy.
As a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
- On the Core Infrastructure team, you will ensure the reliability and scalability of the Starburst Galaxy infrastructure as we grow to meet the demands of our customers. You’ll own the apis for provisioning and upgrading cloud infrastructure across AWS, Azure & GCP.
- On the Delivery & Enablement team, you will enable the engineering organization to iterate on Galaxy confidently with maximum velocity, and minimum disruption. You’ll own everything from continuous delivery to the tooling to provision and maintain developer environments.
- On the Observability team, you will provide comprehensive tooling, and the underlying infrastructure primitives, for the introspection and administration of the Starburst Galaxy product. This requires modifying both Trino and Starburst Galaxy services to maximize introspection while owning infrastructure that ensures that relevant data is surfaced in an accessible way to both internal and external customers.
- Develop and optimize the reliability, scalability, and efficiency of Starburst Galaxy service
- Design and build the core operational infrastructure of the Starburst Galaxy service following the immutable cloud infrastructure paradigm
- Continuously improve our engineering processes, tests, and systems that allow us to scale the code base and productivity of the team
- Provide considerate and timely review of your peers' pull requests and design proposals
Some of the things we look for
- Passion for Software Engineering, an interest in Infrastructure Engineering in particular
- Cloud infrastructure architecture and orchestration experience
- Experience developing software in Java and Typescript
- Experience with infrastructure as code and related tooling such as Pulumi or Terraform
- Prior experience in developing for or operating Trino is a huge plus
- Demonstration of ownership, grit, and bias for action - core values at Starburst
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Warsaw, London, Palo Alto and Tel Aviv and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.