Senior Software Engineer - Distributed Systems
Engineering – Engineering /
Starburst is the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for a data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. Our software provides fast and easy access to data, no matter where it lives, with a best-in-class MPP SQL engine that shortens the path to value for data. The Starburst Enterprise Platform leverages the power of the open source Trino (formerly PrestoSQL) to query data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. Our SaaS offering, Starburst Galaxy provides all the benefits of Trino and Starburst in an easy to use, fully-managed enterprise-ready multi-cloud SaaS platform designed by Trino’s original creators and experts.
With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded with customers and revenue from the very beginning. Our customers love us, we operate globally, and we are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
Starburst is looking for strong Java engineers to work with our globally distributed engineering team on the core of Starburst’s software. This role will allow you to directly contribute to the advancement of Trino and Starburst. Our managed SaaS and both open source and proprietary software provide unique and interesting problems to be solved, and incredible learning opportunities for any engineer.
- Design, Develop and Operate core components of open source Trino, the Starburst Enterprise Platform, or the Starburst Galaxy Control Plane.
- Continuously improve our engineering processes, tests, and systems that allow us to scale the code base and productivity of the team
- Collaborate with teams globally and operate in a fast paced environment
- Provide exceptional customer support for both internal and external customers
Some of the things we look for
- Prior experience developing distributed systems
- Extensive software development experience with Java
- Demonstrated experience with software engineering and design best practices.
- Appreciation for creating maintainable, performant, and high quality software as part of a fun, high-performing global team
- Demonstration of ownership, grit, and bias for action - core values at Starburst
- Prior experience with cloud control plane or database internals such as query optimization
- Familiarity with Trino
- Experience contributing to open source software
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Warsaw, London, Palo Alto and Tel Aviv and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.