Software Engineer - Distributed Systems
Engineering – Engineering /
At Starburst, we are working to dismantle the status quo of data silos and vendor lock-in every single day. For decades, database companies have held their customers hostage and we believe that’s just plain wrong. Starburst offers a full-featured data lake analytics platform, built on open source Trino. Our platform includes all the capabilities needed to discover, organize, and consume data without the need for time-consuming and costly migration projects. Today more than 300 leading organizations trust us to make better decisions faster.
Though Starburst has raised $414M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded in a rather unusual way as we bootstrapped the business with customers and revenue from the very beginning! We are a remote-first company with employees all over the world and are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
Starburst is looking for strong Java engineers to work with our globally distributed engineering team on the core of Starburst’s software. This role will allow you to directly contribute to the advancement of Trino and Starburst. Our managed SaaS and both open-source and proprietary software provide unique and interesting problems to be solved, and incredible learning opportunities for any engineer.
As a Software Engineer at Starburst you will:
- Design, develop, and operate core components of open-source Trino, the Starburst Enterprise Platform, or the Starburst Galaxy Control Plane.
- Continuously improve our engineering processes, tests, and systems that allow us to scale the code base and productivity of the team
- Collaborate with teams globally and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Provide exceptional customer support for both internal and external customers
Some of the things we look for:
- Prior experience developing distributed systems
- Extensive software development experience with Java
- Demonstrated experience with software engineering and design best practices.
- Appreciation for creating maintainable, performant, and high-quality software as part of a fun, high-performing global team
- Demonstration of ownership, grit, and bias for action - core values at Starburst
- Prior experience with cloud control plane or database internals such as query optimization
- Familiarity with Trino
- Experience contributing to open source software
Where could this role be based?
Why build your career at Starburst?
We live by our three core company values: Character, Competence, and Ownership and are a team of top performers. We are each in the driver’s seat, shaping our organization and working together towards our common mission. We are solving exceptionally complex and meaningful challenges here and as we innovate, we each have the opportunity to build our careers alongside Starbursts’s growth.
We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, flexible paid time off, and more!
Starburst Data is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place to work. Everyone is welcome at the Starburst table and we have several employee resource groups such as Womxn At Starburst, Starburst Military, and Starburst Pride. We know that the more diverse perspectives we have at the table will only serve us to make a better team and company.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.