Senior Software Engineer, Navigation Team
Estonia, Tallinn /
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Starship Technologies is revolutionizing last mile delivery with autonomous sidewalk robots. Engineering is at the core of everything we do and we rely on our engineers to come up with new goals and initiatives and to actively prioritise their work. We believe that the best decisions are made bottom-up by using a combination of data analysis, experience based reasoning and collaborative discussion.
To accelerate our mission, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Navigation Team in developing the 30k-line C++ software component that makes driving decisions within the robot based on sensing, localisation, and routing information from other modules. Our work involves path planning, safety and social interactions, dealing with anomalies and plenty of complex interactions on streets and sidewalks full of vehicles and pedestrians. As part of the Navigation team you will be a major contributor to Starship's Autonomous Driving unit with the aim to push the boundaries of robot autonomy in city environments.
To date our robots have completed over 3 million commercial deliveries, driven 3 million kilometres and crossed over 17 million roads. Each day our robots complete thousands of deliveries across the US, UK and Europe. Come join us to make autonomous robots happen at scale and re-invent a more convenient and efficient version of city-scale logistics!
Requirements to be successful in this role:
- An excellent track record with plenty of varied challenges.
- A generalist mindset with strong analytical skills.
- A firm grasp of C++ or a similar language (Rust, Python, …).
- Experience writing production-level code in resource-limited environments.
- Ability to think in geometric constructs and communicate about them.
- Ability to move between different software engineering fields.
- Ability to work highly independently, be self motivated, and be eager to learn.
Helpful but not required:
- Experience in data-driven development.
- Experience and interest in mechanics, electronics or signal processing is a strong plus.
- Experience in robot navigation and motion planning is a plus, but not strictly required.
- Experience in statistical methods is a plus.
Join our development cycle and:
- Build advanced path planning and decision making software.
- Simulate the effect of changes on the robots behavior.
- Deploy new features to thousands of robots world wide.
- Monitor the global performance of our changes according to key business metrics.
- Prioritize our work using vast amounts of data from millions of kilometers of driving.
- Come up with new solutions, goals and initiatives and coordinate them with other teams.
Why we think working at Starship will be awesome? Because you'll have the chance to...
- Play a part in Starship’s success story, revolutionising the delivery industry.
- Work on autonomous driving technologies on a uniquely large scale.
- Create an impact as a valuable member of a word-class, small and focused engineering team.
- Continuously learn and level up your skills, surrounded by supremely talented colleagues from across the globe.
- Be a part of a culture formed by humble and hardworking entrepreneurial spirits, who have a bias for action - we make things happen!
- Enjoy flexible working time, company events, snacks and drinks at the office, and a competitive salary, including an employee stock option plan.
Want to learn more about our robots, our design philosophy and how we might change the world together? Get in touch and let’s have a chat!
To learn more about our Head of Autonomous Driving, Lindsay Roberts and his journey at Starship, take a look at our blog post HERE .