Site Reliability Engineer
Estonia, Tallinn /
Engineering – Core Services /
Starship Technologies is revolutionizing deliveries with autonomous robots, which means that engineering is at the very core of what we do. Not only does our co-founder/CEO Ahti Heinla still participate in developing our software, but we also empower our engineers through the use of agile, autonomous, end-to-end full-stack teams. We believe that relevant experts with hands-on experience rather than C-suites with PowerPoints should make important business decisions.
Our aim is to be the most data-driven, least political employer you encounter. Having you as a part of our engineering team means we consider you to be an expert. When you want to make a decision, bring the data or a solid argument to explain the reasoning behind it. With it, we place our trust in you and your thinking.
While engineering drives our company, our mission drives our people. Our contribution to the society includes reducing congestion and pollution, zero emissions deliveries, increasing the quality of life for residents, empowering seniors and disabled people and enabling affordable delivery for local businesses. Our delivery robots have completed over 1 million autonomous deliveries to date, driven 2.4 million kilometres and crossed over 17 million roads. Every day our delivery robots are completing thousands of autonomous deliveries across tens of cities and 5 countries around the world. We’re hitting records on an almost weekly basis. Now is a very exciting time to join as we are growing rapidly around the world!
Autonomous robots roaming the streets is a great challenge and brings along some unique engineering challenges both on the physical side of the robot side as well as at the backend. As a Site Reliability Engineer you will work on the backend infrastructure and platform services that make Starship robots move. This includes low latency messaging systems, real-time video feeds, databases, networking, observability infrastructure and much more.
We are looking for someone to:
- Develop and maintain Starship’s cloud based infrastructure, Kubernetes, Kafka and MongoDb on AWS
- Automate and simplify infrastructure management; integrate and reuse where possible, write code when you need to
- Ensure observability of the production environment, from simple metrics and dashboards to custom sidecars and distributed tracing
- Continuously improve the reliability of Starship’s systems- enable horizontal scaling, automatic failovers, canary deployments and more
- Analyze systems performance and remove bottlenecks
- Help define the architecture that scales to cities full of robots, delivering goods 24x7
This role could be a good fit for you if you:
- Are keen on Cloud Native Technologies and have experience with things like Kubernetes, Prometheus, Grafana, Traefik and Linkerd, but also realize that there is a time and place for “old school” tech
- Know what makes operating systems, networks, databases and distributed systems tick
- Know your Linux, are comfortable within the shell environment and know your way around kernel settings
- Enjoy troubleshooting and won’t let go until you find that tricky race condition or memory leak
- Have good experience with Python or GoLang. These are used daily, but you will also be able to work with a variety of other languages
- Have a “let’s get this done” attitude, but will also take the time to do it right
- Not only are you a rockstar engineer, but you’re equally good at achieving results through teamwork
And of course, why join us?! Because you'll have the chance to be...
- Working with cutting edge technology in the field of autonomous delivery robotics
- Transforming how deliveries are done
- Placed in an autonomous, self-managing, end-to-end full stack engineering team
- Working in a culture formed by hardcore entrepreneurial spirits, who are both direct, humble and hardworking
- Working in our offices in Tallinn, Estonia
- Getting a competitive salary, with employee stock option plan
- Offered relocation support if you live outside Estonia but are selected for the role and are ready to make the move
Want to learn more about our technologies, engineering challenges and how we might change the world together? Get in touch and let’s have a chat!