Sr. Software Engineer, Tools
THE OPPORTUNITY: SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER, TOOLS
We are looking for a Software Engineer build internal applications for ecommerce. This position is laser focused on making the Production and Merchandising processes function really well and be efficient. On HauteLook we have roughly 50 new events live across our website and mobile apps every single day. On Nordstromrack.com we have one of the largest number of customer choices in our retail space. This team engineers the custom tools to provide the necessary speed and scale at which Nordstromrack.com | HauteLook continues to operate.
Our internal application UX should feel as good as our customer facing ones. When we create Web UIs, we want to Do It With Style. We want our platform-level tools, we want them to be lightning fast and very dependable. We are creating tools the way an engineering culture builds tools, but within the context of a very large company.
The tools team consists of four software engineers and one QA engineer that collaborate together to create great products. You will also work side-by-side with a product manager. The team uses a lowercase “a” approach to agile and is focused on building tools for roughly 100 internal customers. The primary software application is written in PHP, using the Symfony 2 framework, with MySQL and MongoDb for data storage. The UI is written primarily using JQuery.
Design, code and ship significant new functionality for the Production and Merchandising tools.
Use PHP, Symfony 2 and JQuery to build a very fast browser experience.
Collaborate with Product Management to release new features that improve the daily lives of the people working in Production and Merchandising.
Research, prototype and recommend new technology that will help solve business problems.
THE REQUIREMENTS/QUALIFICATIONS/PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
· EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
· EXPERIENCE: 2+ years of professional software engineering experience preferred.
· Has successfully built and released multiple core business applications and has learned from failures along the way.
· Can design pragmatic software solutions that meet deadlines without making the code a mess.
· Expert in at least one server side language. Examples: PHP, Java, Ruby, C#, Python.
· Proficient JS and CSS skills. Preferably with experience using SASS, LESS or PostCSS. We do not expect creative design skills, but you have to be able to build a webpage from a comp.
· Proficient with MySQL. Understands how to work with a large, clustered database.
· Groks HTTP, including REST, caching and other semantics
We’ve got you covered…
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision and dental coverage, a fabulous merchandise discount, an employer-matched 401(k) plan, a profit-sharing plan and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a diverse environment.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work employees can expect within this particular job classification. It is certainly not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required for this job.
Still reading? Reach out directly to Mark Ray at email@example.com.