ABOUT THE COMPANY: EXOS (www.teamexos.com)
EXOS helps people perform at a high level so they can achieve what matters most to them. Since our founding in 1999, we’ve become a leader in proactive health and performance, trusted by more than 150 clients, including corporations, academic institutions, health systems, sports organizations, the U.S. military, community centers, and residential communities.
With award-winning facilities and spaces, technology, equipment, and services, EXOS connects people to the solutions they need and provides individualized plans based on time-tested fundamentals and research in order to help people take control of their health and performance.
THE OPPORTUNITY: DATABASE ENGINEER
As the quantity and diversity of our client base increases, EXOS is expanding in the way of Database Engineering. We aim to stay on top of the data we capture and the information we publish to our stakeholders, both internal and external.
As an ideal candidate, you’ll…:
Have solid SQL skills, preferably with MySQL, and some familiarity with other databases (Redshift? MongoDB? Something else?). You’re able to study a database schema and understand how the data are being stored, what they mean – and most importantly, how to answer questions that you asked about the data.
Be a good communicator. You can read system documentation to understand how the system works and you can converse intelligently with business people to understand how and why the users use the system. When Marketing asks you to generate data that illustrate how engagement has changed, you can clarify their requirements, handle any issues and exceptions, and produce a report that gives them what they need for their statistical analysis (*they* look after the SAS or R; *you* look after the SQL).
Have some ability with one or more ETL tools (we use Pentaho Kettle/Spoon); you can wrangle data well enough to generate extracts, subsets, summaries, and roll-ups as required. You write well, so you can explain to others what you are doing and why. You have an attention to detail that ensures your solutions match the requirements completely and accurately.
Be a good team player, ready to join a high-performance team of user experience and software engineers working on systems that improve human performance. You are disciplined enough to work efficiently, track your progress, meet your commitments, understand how to spend your time, and be responsible for your part. You are comfortable (you might say “you prefer…”) an agile environment where proofs of concept, prototypes, and partial requirements abound.
Be driven to continually improve the way you do things, and hence the way we do things – process is good. You understand our need for quality – you have a demonstrated ability to consistently deliver accurate, efficient, and correct solutions to the problems presented to you.
THE RIGHT CANDIDATE: REQUIREMENTS & PERSONA
• EXPERIENCE: At least 5 years writing SQL queries on large databases to generate extracts, reports, and other ETL tasks.
• At least 3 years designing database schema to meet business requirements.
• At least one year working with (designing, implementing, and operating) a Data Warehouse.
• You can turn business requirements into MySQL code, including effective use of MySQL functions, and if needed: user defined functions, cursors, and/or stored procedures
• You can comprehend a database by studying it’s schema and asking some good questions
• You have good written and spoken communications
• You have an excellent attention to details and a propensity for high quality work
BENEFITS | WHY EXOS?
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan that reflects our culture of leading a healthy, well-balanced life. With tools to care for your health, plan for your future, and enhance your skill set, you can build a one-of-a-kind career with us.
• Comprehensive medical insurance
• Health savings account
• Dental and vision insurance
• Virtual telemedicine option
• Life insurance
• Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Short- and long-term disability
• Competitive compensation package
• 401(k) with employer match
• Educational sessions on retirement savings and financial planning
• Transportation and parking reimbursement programs
• Career paths that allow you to grow and advance
• Career opportunities worldwide
• Access to industry-leading training in person and online
…and more! See here for full details.