Skybound Entertainment is a multi-platform entertainment company best known for the long-running series, The Walking Dead. In 2003, Robert Kirkman (creator of Walking Dead) and David Alpert (Producer & CEO of Skybound) set out to do the impossible –create a television series for The Walking Dead while maintaining all control over the IP and derivative works.
Since founding Skybound in 2010, they have now developed over 60 creators developing brands / properties with assets across comics, gaming, television, film, digital, and virtual reality. The goal is to build an engine that can replicate the success of The Walking Dead by bringing phenomenal content to fans while ensuring creators maintain control.
Skybound and its related entities are looking for an experienced, highly detailed Controller to lead and manage Finance and Accounting operations, to optimize, scale and standardize company-wide processes with emphasis on supporting revenue optimization strategies. This opportunity will report to Director of Finance & Strategic Planning and lead a growing finance team.
The ideal candidate has significant experience working in the gaming, entertainment or related industries; has a track record of identifying financial trends and defining critical initiatives for driving revenue optimization strategies and comes with a deep knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, policies, and rules of consolidation, costs and budgeting processes, financial planning, preparation and reporting.
- FINANCIAL CONTROLLERSHIP:
- Establish and manage companies’ financial reporting policies and procedures.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements.
- Coordinate the preparation of lender, investor, and regulatory reporting as necessary.
- Implement systems and protocols to maintain cost controls, budgeting, and AR/AP management
- Update, build, and maintain financial tracking database to assist with financial analysis for executives and department heads.
- FINANCIAL OPERATIONS:
- Request and review background checks.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Identify and lead process improvement projects to automate and streamline current accounting and reporting procedures to maximize the contribution toward strategic business goals.
- Help select and onboard improved accounting and other financial software and services.
- General Accounting:
- Prepare timely and accurate GAAP financial statements and reports.
- Assist and oversee preparation of Royalty Reports and payments.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT:
- Play a critical role hiring and mentoring our Finance and Accounting team.
- Collaborate with, mentor and develop the Finance and Accounting team using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance - CPA/CMA preferred, and/or Big 4 audit experience preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: 3+ years of experience in Finance and Accounting or Financial Operations roles.
- 2+ years leading People Ops teams in a high-growth startup environment.
- 1+ year of talent development, performance management or organizational development.
- Experience working in TV/Film/Video Gaming company, startup environment, or Big 4 accounting firm a huge bonus.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP financial reporting and consolidations, preferably TV/Film/Video Gaming.
- Must have firm grasp on accounting principles (ideally, for film and TV), both in theory and practical application, especially as it pertains to rules of consolidation and revenue/expense recognition.
- Experience with premium software tools in the Finance and Accounting suite of tools: NetSuite, Quickbooks, Excel, etc.