Skybound Entertainment is a multi-platform entertainment company best known for the long-running series, The Walking Dead. In 2003, Robert Kirkman (creator of Walking Dead) and David Alpert (Producer & CEO of Skybound) set out to do the impossible –create a television series for The Walking Dead while maintaining all control over the IP and derivative works.
Since founding Skybound in 2010, they have now developed over 60 creators developing brands / properties with assets across comics, gaming, television, film, digital, and virtual reality. The goal is to build an engine that can replicate the success of The Walking Dead by bringing phenomenal content to fans while ensuring creators maintain control.
Skybound and its related entities has an opening for a dynamic Human Resources role. We seek a leader who will be able to build an HR department that fits and supports our culture, while ensuring compliance and best practices. The ideal candidate will be comfortable leading strategic initiatives as well as performing transactional HR functions, and excel at project management, employee relations and advising managers. There will be opportunity to hire and manage more employees in the department in the future. The HR Director will report to the CEO.
- Vision and Strategy:
- Work with the Executive team and related stakeholders to collaboratively identify and set key achievements, immediate deliverables and long-term vision for HR & People Operations that support the company mission, values, and strategies.
- Review and revise current recruiting process with buy-in from department heads.
- Write and post job descriptions, review resumes, design and conduct interviews.
- Train managers on interviewing best practices.
- Request and review background checks.
- Prepare, distribute, track, and file start paperwork, including offer letters.
- Enter new employees into the TriNet system.
- Set up and train all hourly employees on TriNet Time online timecard system.
- Assign/prep work spaces, collaborating with IT on computer, phone, e-mail, etc.
- Meet with new hires to explain company policies and procedures.
- Work with mangers to create training plans and 90-day performance evaluations.
- Stay up to date and educate employees on benefit options and enrollment.
- Coordinate special circumstances i.e. parental or medical.
- Partner with TriNet for annual benefits renewal and open enrollment process.
- Design, manage and enforce PTO policies.
- Payroll, COMPENSATION & 401k Liaison:
- Process bi-monthly payroll and other payments for eight employment entities.
- Coordinate with Singer Burke and Empower Retirement to manage plan.
- Run bi-monthly payroll contribution reports and send to Empower for processing.
- Manage Career Advancement Fund and Wellness Project.
- Employee Relations, Values & Culture:
- Work to build a safe, open and credible culture; handling all employee communication and sensitive employment matters with respect to employee confidentiality, company values, related policies, procedures, and applicable employment laws and regulations.
- Help promote our company values and ensure that all decisions, programs, and processes are aligned with our core beliefs.
- Handle disciplinary procedures in conjunction with senior leadership; Mediate conflict between peers and between managers and subordinates.
- Train and advise managers on 90-day and annual performance review timeline, review feedback, and escalate to senior leadership if necessary.
- Schedule and help to plan company seminars i.e. efficiency workshops.
- Keep up to date on new laws (FMLA, compliance issues, minimum wage, etc.).
- Draft and update company policies/employee handbook.
- Manage Exits and Transitions; Process transfers and terminations in TriNet; Conduct exit interviews.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field; equivalent experience also accepted.
- EXPERIENCE: 8+ years direct People Ops (Human Resources) experience, building and implementing operational programs.
- 2+ years leading People Ops teams in a high-growth startup environment.
- 1+ year of talent development, performance management or organizational development.
- Broad business acumen; able to think strategically, while also focus on results: driving execution and getting hands on in all tactical and operational duties within the HR & People Ops function.
- ·Experience managing Employee Payroll processing end to end, including new hire, time entry, register reconciliation, reporting, and taxes
- Well-versed in Local, State and Federal laws related to HR & People and dynamic enough to establish flexible governance's around ensuring related compliance while remaining flexible and adapting as needed.
- A self-directed entrepreneurial professional who knows what needs to be done and operates with a sense of urgency, focus and discipline.
- Positive energy, a team player who thrives on the thrill of scaling an early stage company and enjoys being part of a high-energy collaborative team--- and has fun along the way!