Head of Data
Marina Del Rey
THE COMPANY: ASPIRATION (https://www.aspiration.com/ )
Aspiration is the leading socially conscious retail fintech startup with close to 1 MM people signed up, over $80 MM in capital raised, and customer satisfaction (NPS) scores that far exceed those of big bank competitors. Aspiration has won a number of awards, including Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies 2018.
THE OPPORTUNITY: HEAD OF DATA
As Head of Data, you’ll lead the entirety of the Data team at Aspiration, including strategy, execution and collaboration with other key teams. You will oversee data engineering, analytics and business intelligence, data science, and supporting a data-informed decision-making framework for the company.
You have proven success in a fast-paced and demanding company. You love internalizing a vision of creating the world’s leading consumer finance brand, and see how a world class data team can make that a reality. You can help inspire and influence colleagues to use data to make better decisions, products and customer experiences. You are patient and love to teach others. You are a “data creative” and can work with business partners on ways to better use data to move the business forward. You also like to develop and lead others in a highly collaborative and service-minded team.
- Building a world-class multi-faceted data team that partners with the rest of the company
- Building from an MVP data platform to a world-class data roadmap and lifecycle
- Aligning with Engineering around data foundation investments, tools and systems
- Developing a data science practice for modeling and predicting outcomes for the business
- Providing leadership around analytics and business intelligence, and leading a team that serves in key business functions (Marketing, Product, Customer Support, Operations, Finance)
- Laying out a plan to develop machine learning capabilities on a path toward artificial intelligence that better serves our customers
- Working with leadership and the finance team on recommendations and guidance on the financial impact of various products and initiatives
- Working with leadership, finance and growth and marketing to target resource allocation so target customers are successfully acquired, non-target customers minimized
- Being the data representative to ensure adherence to information security and compliance requirements
- Making effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management and/or Aspiration’s board
- Ad hoc projects and analysis as requested
- Bachelor’s degree in in a technical discipline (Math, Computer Science, etc.); (Masters degree or Ph.D. preferred)
- Prior experience as data team leader, and ideally as a data scientist and/or machine learning engineer
- Strong knowledge of data science, machine learning, business intelligence and core business fundamentals
- Strong mathematical knowledge and demonstrated usage in complex business environments
- 7+ years in critical data and data team management roles in high growth companies
- Attention to detail and desire to have accurate, timely and meaningful reporting
- Amazing communication skills to translate data into opportunities for action and improvement across the business
- Experience with market-leading data analysis, databases and other key data platforms and tools
- Some understanding of the FinTech landscape, experience in financial services industry
You’ll probably be happy here if:
• You love working collaboratively and thrive in fast paced environments.
• You want to work for a mission-driven company with the goal of transforming the lives of millions by building a better financial firm.
• Working in sunny West Los Angeles sounds like a dream come true.
Aspiration Employment Perks & Benefits:
• Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental benefits
• Flexible working hours and vacation time
• Opportunity for company equity