Senior Platform Engineer (San Francisco)
Interested in helping us change the world of payments forever? The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is looking for a talented, experienced, and hands-on platform engineer to join our team. In this role you’ll be designing, building, and implementing the tools and services that empower Stellar's ecosystem. By working within the platform team, you'll be working on open source projects that empower developers to use the Stellar network for a wide variety of goals and use cases.
- Be involved with all aspects of the development process for platform projects - from vision to final implementation.
- Design new platform functionality with corresponding APIs for external developers.
- Build and maintain web services to support the foundation’s mission (increasing network participation, enabling lumen distribution, and highlighting the stability of the network).
- Identify patterns in developer needs and design new protocols and services to increase developer velocity across our entire ecosystem.
- Engage with our community of open source developers on projects that encompass many different frameworks, languages, and ideas.
- Collaborate with the team on code review and design, and contribute to best practices for all of engineering at SDF.
- Investigate and refactor performance bottlenecks in order to continue scaling our API services.
- Provide assistance and guidance for our integration projects with our partners and other organizations on the Stellar network.
- Author detailed technical feature and protocol (RFC) specifications - we take design seriously, and we encourage everyone to be a part of our RFC processes.
- You have 4+ years of experience developing software on a team.
- You have strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- You're a language polyglot, and have written server applications in languages such as Go, Rust, C#, Java or C++.
- You have experience in support production web services at scale.
- You're a great communicator that can advocate and lead technical discussions, especially during the design and code review process.
- You have a solid understanding of software design patterns, and how to build components that are reusable, extensible, and modular.
- You are knowledgable of existing frameworks and open source tools, and are willing to build new frameworks when open ones do not exist.
- You have a passion for performance debugging and benchmarking.
- You're enthusiastic about working on a small, growing team where you'll be given a lot of autonomy.
- You're open, empathetic, and care about putting the best ideas forward in a collaborative and helpful manner.
Bonus points if:
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field.
- You generally enjoy working on a wide variety of smaller projects as opposed to regularly creating features in a single large system.
- You have a strong curiosity in blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies, and understand the fundamentals of these systems.
Stellar is an open network for sending and exchanging value of any kind. Our global network enables digitization of assets - from carbon credits to currencies - and enables movement around the internet with ease. In doing so, it’s faster, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly than alternative platforms, and it empowers users and organizations to create a global, dependable network of trust while maintaining decentralization.
About the Stellar Development Foundation (SDF)
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) was founded in 2014 by Jed McCaleb. We consider Stellar the “platform of the people” - building world-class, decentralized, and open-source technology that’s accessible and affordable to everyone. We believe that our technology and mission enables our diverse developer ecosystem to build innovative and transformative technologies on top of Stellar. Most of all, we firmly believe that we are building the financial system of the future - and that at the heart of it should be an inclusive culture.
We look forward to hearing from you!