Senior Core Engineer
Interested in helping us change the world of payments forever? The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is looking for a talented, experienced, and hands-on engineer to join our team. In this role you’ll be designing, building, and implementing changes to Stellar Core - the primary distributed system that is used for maintaining Stellar's ledger and obtaining global consensus.
As a member of our team, you'll have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of problems focused on growing and scaling our global network. This includes inventing semantics to enable new possibilities for participants of the network, writing features that promote the growth of our peer to peer network of validators, facilitating scalability towards fast and reliable transactions, and keeping the network protected against bad actors across a wide variety of security vectors.
- Design and build key components of Stellar Core - the backbone software behind the Stellar Network.
- Design and develop robust, scalable, and extensible technologies that empower our developers and network participants.
- Collaborate on new architectures and subsystems, working alongside our CTO, our team of engineers, and our community of open source developers.
- Write clean, maintainable code with an emphasis on edge case analysis and future-proofing our work.
- Own core subsystems of Stellar Core, and help the team hit critical product milestones.
- Collaborate with the team on code review and design, and contribute to best practices for all of engineering at SDF.
- Investigate and refactor performance bottlenecks in order to continue scaling the system.
- Author detailed technical feature and protocol (RFC) specifications - we take design seriously, and we encourage everyone to be a part of our RFC processes.
- You have 4+ years of experience developing software on a team.
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field.
- You excel in writing code in C++ 11, especially in a production environment.
- You're a great communicator that can advocate and lead technical discussions, especially during the design and code review process.
- You have a solid understanding of software design patterns, and how to build components that are reusable, extensible, and modular.
- You are knowledgeable of best practices and development tools and are passionate about technological innovation.
- You have a passion for performance debugging and benchmarking.
- You love a good challenge in an ever-evolving space - many of the challenges we face are being faced for the first time!
- You're enthusiastic about working on a small, growing team where you'll be given a lot of autonomy.
- You're open, empathetic, and care about putting the best ideas forward in a collaborative and helpful manner.
Bonus points if:
- You have direct experience with designing and implementing distributed systems.
- You have a strong curiosity in blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies, and understand the fundamentals of these systems.
Stellar is an open network for sending and exchanging value of any kind. Our global network enables digitization of assets - from carbon credits to currencies - and enables movement around the internet with ease. In doing so, it’s faster, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly than alternative platforms, and it empowers users and organizations to create a global, dependable network of trust while maintaining decentralization.
About the Stellar Development Foundation (SDF)
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) was founded in 2014 by Jed McCaleb. We consider Stellar the “platform of the people” — building world-class, decentralized, and open-source technology that’s accessible and affordable to everyone. We believe that our technology and mission enables our diverse developer ecosystem to build innovative and transformative technologies on top of Stellar. Most of all, we firmly believe that we are building the financial system of the future - and that at the heart of it should be an inclusive culture.
We look forward to hearing from you!
SDF is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SDF does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law.