Community Outreach Coordinator
Nashville, TN /
Network Team – Engagement /
Who We Are
Launching the first public charter school network to serve the incredibly vibrant and diverse South Nashville community, in 2010 our team set out to do what everyone told our Founder couldn’t be done: provide a rigorous, inquiry-based STEM education for Nashville’s structurally underrepresented subgroups, preparing each student, regardless of home language or immigration status, to graduate from college. Nearly a decade after our doors opened to our founding 5th grade class, we operate two fully built out high-performing schools serving the highest percentage of limited english proficiency students in our sector: STEM Prep Academy Middle School (grades 5-8) and STEM Prep High School (grades 9-12). In 2014, we expanded our impact to launch one of the largest newcomer programs in the country, the Nashville Newcomer Academy, serving new arrival immigrant and refugee students and their families from around the world.
Today, our team is comprised of over 100 of the most tenacious, persistent, and mission-aligned teachers, leaders, and support staff working to secure the college-graduation mission for each and every one of our students and their families. By 2025, we aim for the diversity of our staff to mirror the population we serve. We have the ACT scores and national growth data, the accolades and awards, the parent testimonials, the college scholarship funds, and the founding alumni, the college-graduating class of 2023, to prove that what we set out to do is in fact possible. We show up for our students and for each other every single day, motivated by the incredibly hard work it takes to give our students what they deserve (what everyone said couldn’t be done).
STEM Prep is seeking a dynamic, passionate community outreach coordinator to join our network engagement team. This person will be responsible for the active recruitment of new STEM Prep students and families for the Middle School and High School. They will help de-mystify the school choice process for families, serve as point-person for our newest parents, and ensure a smooth onboarding of our students and families into the STEM Prep community. From attending after-school events to hosting open houses and leading school tours, the community outreach coordinator will be interacting with a variety of stakeholders every day and will be accountable for meeting student recruitment goals. As a member of the Engagement Team, the community outreach coordinator will report to the Chief of Staff.
The magic of STEM Prep lies with our families. Come see for yourself.
Who You Are
- Your current co-workers describe you as driven, vivacious, outgoing and warm.
- You are a relationships person. You understand that the US education system is complicated and exclusionary, particularly towards newcomers to the country. As a result, you strive to create a community of belonging for others. You make everyone feel welcome and seen through your strong relationships and daily interactions.
- Your expectations are high (for yourself and others). Goals are your best friend.
- You are a teammate through and through. Maybe you weren’t picked first in gym class for kickball, but you’re picked first these days because you consistently assume the best of others and follow through on obligations and promises.
- You are seeking a feedback culture - a place where you can grow fast.
- When faced with a challenge, your default is to be solutions-oriented.
- You are in this for the long-haul, feel called to work with this specific community, at this specific school. Our kids deserve consistency, and you are committed to providing that for them.
- You’ve always been a leader. Maybe you’re the steady and vibrant leader who leads by example or maybe you’re the precocious leader who is always the first to share. Either way, when you talk, people listen.
- No matter the space you occupy, you model what it looks like to partner with parents of every student.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with community partners to eliminate barriers to access for our school and potential new STEM Prep families.
- Partner with the Chief of Staff to develop a vision and strategy for student recruitment in alignment with recruitment and retention goals. Take the lead on executing that strategy for the network.
- Manage the enrollment process. Collaborate with district (MNPS) personnel to ensure that students are accurately enrolled in compliance with district policy and STEM Prep practices.
- Design campaigns, including the use of social media, to recruit and engage new STEM Prep families.
- Organize and invest current STEM Prep families in community activism and advocacy for our school.
- Represent STEM Prep at recruitment fairs, partner school presentations, and community events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Any form of post-secondary education
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred
- Supremely organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work some evenings and the occasional weekend during peak student recruitment season
- Exceptional customer service + people skills
- Familiarity with the Nashville School Choice system is preferred
- Strong public speaking skills required.
The Top 3 Reasons You Choose Us.
1. WE SEE OPPORTUNITY WHERE OTHERS SEE IMPOSSIBILITY. STEM fields are the future. And our kids will be leading them.
Our students are achieving unprecedented success on a national scale.
-Since its first year of operation, our Middle and High School students have outperformed the district and state every year in both reading and math.
-On average, the number of our students performing on or above grade level in both English/Language Arts and Math is more than double that of zoned schools.
-Our newest arrivals have been ranked in the top 1% nationally for growth in reading and math on the NWEA MAP assessment.
-Nashville Newcomer Academy students made 11x the expected growth in math and 15x expected growth in reading.
-Our found class, the college graduating class of 2023, earned over 3 million dollars in scholarships.
-We secured funding and college access for every single one of our undocumented students.
2. YOU COMMIT TO INVESTING DEEPLY IN OUR KIDS. WE COMMIT TO INVESTING DEEPLY IN YOU.
Weekly professional development and personalized coaching.
Leadership development. Whether you want to lead as the best ELA teacher in the state or as the School Director, we have a pathway for that.
Competitive compensation & benefits.
-Annual Salary: On average, our teacher’s salaries out pay traditional district and choice sector teachers.
-Stipend eligibility (early decision, competitive roles, graduate school)
-Referral bonus ($1,000 for every teacher and leader candidate we hire)
-Unlimited classroom supplies
Family & Wellbeing
-Paid Parental Leave
-Private nursing room for new moms.
-Health center access
-Mental health counseling
3. THEY WANT GROWTH. WE WANT IMPACT.
We don’t believe in growth plans with goals around how many buildings we operate or how large our network is. We run through the wall to develop deep and lasting community partnerships that will transform the lives of our kids and families for generations to come. Our growth plan isn’t oriented towards meeting a financial goal or reaching a specific size. We are whole-heartedly committed to deepening our impact in this specific community. Here are some examples of our community-based efforts and impact so far:
-We don't teach History, we teach Historical Perspectives.
-Vaccine clinics, in partnership with the Metro Health Department, to ensure our families have the option to protect themselves from Covid-19.
-Translation services at every event, including our vaccine clinics, so parents are informed.
-English classes three times a week for all parents, including those who work third shift.
-When there is a family in crisis, we are the first people they call.
-When there is a quinceanera, every teacher is there.
-We have the largest mental health staff of any network (and a really great therapy dog).
-Our alumni frequently visit and love to be back on campus. Our previous CMA students even volunteer their time at our vaccine clinics.
We're different from the other guys. Our aim is to continue this level of deep impact and advance the outcomes, education and otherwise, for all students and families in the neighborhoods we serve.
STEM Preparatory Academy believes it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people and we strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply for open positions. STEM Prep does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
In compliance with Metro Nashville Public Schools' policy, all STEM Prep employees must pass a background check.