Executive Director, Financial Planning & Analysis
The Executive Director, Financial Planning and Analysis will be a key leadership member of the finance team who will work across the organization and functional boundaries using an understanding of the business and develop financial analyses/models and recommendations to support business planning and strategic decision making. This role will work closely with the senior executive team and private equity investors to analyze historical results, identify business trends, assess viability of business opportunities, develop strategic plans, measuring success to provide recommendations for future business decisions.
The scope of responsibility for this position includes the full breadth of financial planning, forecasting and analysis. The position also requires a senior level of accounting proficiency and the ability to work effectively with the accounting function.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for financial planning, reporting and analysis for StraighterLine, business results for partners, long-range strategic plan and regular reporting to private equity investors. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Lead the financial reporting and strategic planning function in close collaboration with the CFO.
- Provide financial analysis and support to the business owners by facilitating the development of the long range plan, providing financial outlook modeling, and budget variance analysis to ensure alignment with overall business objectives for that business leader. Identify and communicate risks and opportunities.
- Leadership responsibilities for the annual budgeting process and re-engineering of our existing budget process.
- Development of monthly and annual dashboards of key performance indicators to measure progress towards achievement key strategic business goals recommending realignments as appropriate.
- Lead the FP&A function in the development of effective financial forecast reports indicating monthly P&L results. Provide formal review to senior stakeholders for adjustments and/or reengineering of forecast and business models.
- Manage financial reporting issues to include research, resolution and maintenance of requisite documentation.
- Support various business units through ad hoc financial analysis and reporting, including new business opportunities, student enrollment forecasts, pricing analysis, etc.
- Support the CFO/COO and President in the continuous assessment and improvement of the financial planning, analysis and reporting function for the organization.
Education and/or Experience:
- MBA degree preferred.
- Ten plus years of accounting and FP&A experience required, minimum of five years at a senior leadership level
- Blend of experience in private / public industry preferred
- Demonstrated analytical and financial modeling skills with extensive experience developing and understanding complex business decision models using statistical analysis and other related methodologies.
- Solid understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”), applicable tax principles and relationships to ensure analytical accuracy.
- Must be highly proficient with MS Office Suite.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the proven ability to develop and deliver financial presentations to an executive level audience.
- Proven success record leading and building an agile workforce that responds quickly and effectively to changing business situations and demands.
- Position requires the ability to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Licensure and/or Certification
- CPA is preferred
- Solid understanding of business dynamics and operations.
- Previous experience managing financial processes with visibility into business results
- Understanding operational business drivers and presenting findings to senior management.
- Responsible for building business partner relationships throughout the organization to help them implement best practices related to financial planning and forecasting.
- Ability to builds relationships that foster mutually beneficial exchange and support for business agendas that positively impact the organization or its customer.
- Exhibit professional and collaborative approach with both internal and external business customers.
Recognized by Fast Company as one of the “10 Most Innovative Companies in Education,” the New York Times, Inside Higher Ed and more, StraighterLine's innovative courses and relationships with colleges makes higher education affordable again.