Web Design Contractor
StraighterLine.com, an innovative online educational platform that delivers college level courses for credit and prepares students for enrolling into degree programs, is looking for a passionate and talented Web Designer. The most qualified candidates will be adept at working in a fast paced startup environment and across functional teams to deliver designs in a variety of formats. The top candidate will be adept at turning requirements, messaging, information and ideas into designs that effectively deliver on a focused set of goals. This position will report to the VP of Product and Student Experience and is a 3-6 month contract engagement, at least 40 hours per week with the potential to become a full-time position and is preferred to be onsite at StraighterLine Headquarters in Baltimore, MD. (remote applicants accepted)
Interested candidates please include your resume, portfolio link and a cover letter with your application.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create visual designs and interactive requirements that incorporate functionalities, conform to established style guides, incorporate feedback while delivering a delightful experience for the StraighterLine online learning experience.
- Communicate design ideas using user flows, wireframes and visual mockups.
- Work closely with teams from Product, Marketing, and UX/front-end developers to build visual executions of interactive design solutions.
- Follow and create interactive style guides and pattern libraries/design systems to create consistent experiences.
- Provide deliverables in formats that support an Agile Scrum definition and development process.
- Provide accurate level-of-effort estimates, while being an active and early communicator when setting expectations.
- Bachelor's in Graphic, Interactive, HCI or related design or arts degree.
- 3-5+ years experience designing web and/or mobile products.
- Proficiency in graphic design software including, Sketch, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator or other visual design tools.
- Proficiency working with and creating style guides/design systems.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser web, accessibility and responsive design standards.
- Familiarity with web experience prototyping tools such as InVision, Axure, UXPin, Adobe Xd or others.
- Experience or familiarity working within an Agile Scrum team framework.
- Available off hours (nights and weekends) to meet deadlines for date driven projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication with proven skill in translating ideas into clear design requirements.
- Act independently to get things done and manage multiple priorities.
- Stay focused in a fast paced dynamic environment and respond to rapid change with attention to detail and consistent follow-up.
- Belief that design is “everything” and that their work has the power to impact lives and possibly change the world.
Recognized by Fast Company as one of the “10 Most Innovative Companies in Education,” the New York Times, Inside Higher Ed and more, StraighterLine's innovative courses and relationships with colleges makes higher education affordable again. StraighterLine is backed by leading venture capital firms like FirstMark Capital -- a New York City-based venture capital firm with a history of successful investments in online, consumer-focused and education businesses -- Chrysalis Ventures, and three of the best known education-focused investors City Light Capital, ReThink Education and New Market Ventures.