Academic Success Coach
StraighterLine.com, an innovative online educational platform that delivers college-level courses for credit and prepares students for enrolling into degree programs, is looking for part time Academic Success Coaches in Baltimore, MD.
In this role, you will work to deliver live, video-based, intensive sessions to provide students the basic skills they need to be successful at the college level. The sessions will focus on driving student success through research-based coaching sessions which are recommended to students based on their course progress and program status.
Coaches will be provided with support and materials to be successful, including, coaching session planning worksheets, coaching session scripts, supported technical tools and, when necessary, equipment. A successful session will provide an attendee with a helpful comprehensive overview of a topic and a plan for implementing that tactic or learning in their day to day study and life.
All interactions should be handled with student educational goals in mind, with a focus on helping students to have agency over their own learning and success.
Goals of the Position
- Deliver “Templated” coaching sessions focused on a limited set of topics (Time Management, Study Skills, Earning a Degree, Wellness) during pre-scheduled times
- Inspire confidence and enthusiasm in struggling students
- Create post-session reports
- Collaborate with peers and advocate, on a student’s behalf, to remove impediments to student success
- When necessary, follow up with students post-session
The best candidates will be able to
- Organize their time effectively
- Relay useful skills, knowledge, and experiential learning to students in a way that resonates with a changing audience
- Actively listen and show empathy to students
- Reliably and consistently deliver engaging sessions to students based on prepared scripts
- Keep sessions on track and on time
- Be willing and able to change modalities to suit student needs
- Provide a positive and seamless student experience.
Required Skills, Education & Experience
- We expect that qualified candidates may come from a wide range of experience, including but not limited to:
- Student support personnel in higher education
- Adjunct instructors with classroom experience teaching Humanities, Public Speaking, Academic Success/meta-learning or other topics
- Guidance counselors
- Academic tutors
Bachelor’s degree required, Masters degree preferred
Candidates are required to submit a detailed cover letter with resume.
Recognized by Fast Company as one of the “10 Most Innovative Companies in Education,” the New York Times, Inside Higher Ed and more, StraighterLine's innovative courses and relationships with colleges makes higher education affordable again. StraighterLine is backed by leading venture capital firms like FirstMark Capital -- a New York City-based venture capital firm with a history of successful investments in online, consumer-focused and education businesses -- Chrysalis Ventures, and three of the best known education-focused investors City Light Capital, ReThink Education and New Market Ventures.