Customer Support Specialist
At StraighterLine we are on a mission to help students succeed!
StraighterLine is the leading provider of high-quality, affordable, online courses that help learners earn college credit and meet their professional goals. Each year, 150,000 learners take one of StraighterLine’s 215 courses to upskill into new careers or earn credit from over 2,000 colleges and universities worldwide. StraighterLine works with institutions and corporate partners to provide their students and employees with flexible education options that allow them to work and learn at their own pace. Visit www.straighterline.com for more information.
StraighterLine is a brand focused on student success in online higher education. The Customer Support Specialist is a critical member of the Support Services Team as the main point of contact for active learners navigating their journey post enrollment through course completion & credit transfer. The Specialist will facilitate the new student experience to ensure a smooth transition to college level course material, suggest engagement with our wide offering of services, and continually monitor students’ progress utilizing various coaching and support techniques.
The Specialist will support StraighterLine Learners as the advocate for providing student-centric support and assistance ensuring a positive, professional experience for all students in pursuit of their academic goals and achievements. The Support Specialist will directly interact and respond to student queries, provide issue resolution, leverage tools, technology and resources to strive towards excellence in online higher education support. The Support Specialists are expected to be adaptable, flexible, versatile, understanding, calm and caring while exhibiting elevated competency to navigate and utilize StraighterLine’s (SIS) Student Information Systems. Once mastered, you will have the added opportunity to expand your ability to work chats, and support tickets that cover topics ranging from course-related issues, course navigation, assignment submissions, membership services, billing inquiries, technical support, academic related issues, transcript requests, and much more. All interactions must be handled with student goals and priorities in mind, with a primary focus on resolving student issues to assist them on a direct pathway to earn transferable college credit.
This role reports to the Team Lead and is a remote, full-time position. Access to stable, fast internet connection and a quiet place to work is required. This candidate should be available to work weekdays, weekends, and select holidays within ET/CT/MT/PT time zones.
The two schedules available are:
Sunday-Thursday: 10-6:30 on weekdays, and 9-5:30 on Sunday
Tuesday-Saturday: 10-6:30 on weekdays, and 9-5:30 on Saturday
Ideal candidate will live in one of the following states (VA, MD, PA, DC).
What You’ll Do
- Provide expert customer service and with creativity and professionalism
- Ensure students are successful in meeting their academic goals
- Ensure students have a “one of a kind” top-notch positive experience
- Respond to student inquiries via live chat, email, phone, help desk tickets, and SMS with clear, concise information and a warm, approachable tone
- Effectively use critical thinking to identify available solutions for students at each phase of their journey Identify process improvements to increase team efficiency and/or student outcomes
- Utilize CRM systems, G Suite, and communication channels effortlessly such as Slack and Zoom, Google Meet, etc.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time (scheduled shifts w/breaks and lunch) answering calls assisting students
Who You Are
- 4+ years of experience in customer facing role (online customer support, contact center expertise, ed-tech higher education experience a plus)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong interpersonal sales and customer service skills with the ability to collaborate
- Adept at problem-solving, active listening, patience, follow through and empathy
- Able to multitask effectively through organization and prioritization skills
- Driven to research appropriate solutions in a fast-paced environment when faced with challenging or unprecedented inquiries
- Comfortable with ambiguity, flexible to change, and great adaptability
Working at StraighterLine
StraighterLine team members work every day knowing that they are helping learners on their path to employability and career success. We're an inclusive team that fosters collaboration, that trusts and communicates openly. Like our students, we are lifelong learners and strive for excellence in our work. We are committed to bringing innovative solutions to the field - your ideas will never go unheard. And, best of all, we love to celebrate each other's contributions and wins.
We also know how important a life outside of work is, and the support that employers can contribute.
Generous time off policies, 13 public holidays.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Coverage (*one option full funded by StraighterLine)
401K Safe Harbor: StraighterLine contributes 3% of your total salary whether you contribute or not
Six weeks paid parental leave
Free StraighterLine courses for you and your family members
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.