Principal Software Engineer
At StraighterLine we are on a mission to help students succeed!
StraighterLine is the leading provider of high-quality, affordable, online courses that help learners earn college credit and meet their professional goals. Each year, 150,000 learners take one of StraighterLine’s 215 courses to upskill into new careers or earn credit from over 2,000 colleges and universities worldwide. StraighterLine works with institutions and corporate partners to provide their students and employees with flexible education options that allow them to work and learn at their own pace. Visit www.straighterline.com for more information.
Working at StraighterLine
StraighterLine team members work every day knowing that they are helping learners on their path to employability and career success. We're an inclusive team that fosters collaboration, that trusts and communicates openly. Like our students, we are lifelong learners and strive for excellence in our work. We are committed to bringing innovative solutions to the field - your ideas will never go unheard. And, best of all, we love to celebrate each other's contributions and wins.
We also know how important a life outside of work is, and the support that employers can contribute.
See the end of this posting to learn more about our great benefits.
Come join us - we are hiring for a brand new position - a Principal Software Engineer on our Technology team.
This is a primarily remote position. Candidates should be located within a two-hour drive of either Duluth, GA or the DC/Baltimore area as the position will require in person meetings from time to time.
The Principal Software Engineer is the technical lead for one or more software products. They are a key member of the product development team and are responsible for the technical vision, direction, implementation and operation of their software products. They work with the Product Owner to realize the backlog for their products and direct the product development team to design, plan, estimate and deliver technical solutions to address business needs.
- Holder of the technical vision for the product, understanding the technical history of the product, where it is today and where it should be in the future.
- Acts as architect for the product team, making architectural and design choices at the product level.
- Collaborates with technical owners on related products to align technical solutions.
- Works with the Architect to establish an enterprise-wide solution.
- Works with the Product Owner and Business Analyst to plan roadmaps and then translate roadmaps into backlogs and deliverable milestones.
- Acts as the primary technical point of contact for the product and product team.
- Helps to foster an engineering culture with focus on rapid delivery with confidence.
- Ensures the quality of the engineering activities within the sprint.
- Defines, measures and reports metrics to demonstrate product development team delivery, quality and efficiency.
- Supports backlog grooming activities by providing clarity to the development team as they review and update individual stories.
- Proactively evaluates the team’s current approach, workflow, and technologies and presents improvements to leadership that can benefit the team and company.
- Designs and develops software applications, project prototypes, proofs of concept & client demos.
- Assists in driving the development effort for End-to-End on-time delivery of high-quality solutions that conform to feature requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Experience as technical lead or senior developer with leadership experience within a scrum team
- Experience working with remote, distributed teams
- Developer experience with AWS in a serverless environment
- Experience with React, NextJS, Node.js and related technologies
- Desirable secondary skills include PHP, .Net, Java, Apache Kafka and Kubernetes
- Experience with Moodle is a plus, but not required
- Proven ability to work collaboratively within a team and across product development teams
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand business needs and expectations
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Low-cost health, dental and vision plans with extensive networks
401K with match, immediately eligible
Education Assistance - you & your family have free access to all StraighterLine courses
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.