Software Engineer, Platform Backend
About the role
The Stride team is on the lookout for a smart, motivated Engineer to help take our Stride Platform to the next level. We are planning for many new things for our next iterations, so your work will be feature-heavy, and you'll have tons of say on its architecture and infrastructure. You will also be an advocate for best practices in mobile/web APIs, infrastructure-as-code, in-memory caching and database administration across the company.
As a business, we sit on a unique position and have partnerships with many of the giant work-for-yourself platforms who want to better serve their workforce.
On the engineering side, we use Node, Python, Scala/Akka, Swift, Kotlin, and some cool machine learning models you're going to love hearing about. Our Platform backend is written in Typescript, and we use ExpressJS for our RESTful services, Apollo for GraphQL, as well as Redis and Postgres for our data caching and persistence. We’re using Terraform for Infrastructure as Code, all of it containerized on AWS. Last but not least, we’re investing heavily in Serverless for workers and queues.
We are a small, nimble organization where you will have plenty of opportunities to make a big impact, and we would love for you to join us on this adventure. The nature of work is changing, forever. Be a part of it.
- We have a wealth of financial and healthcare marketplace data that our customers are eager to use in novel ways, so you will help implement and release new features for the Stride Platform APIs.
- You will help modernize our codebase and infrastructure so we have a state-of-the-art architecture that applies best practices. You will be an advocate for solid and clean architecture principles, testing, Continuous Integration/Delivery.
- You will eventually own large chunks of the Platform backend codebase and infrastructure, and have a leading voice.
- You will be tasked with developing a backend systems architecture that allows for moving fast and iterating quickly, backed by a rock-solid infrastructure.
- You’ll closely work alongside our Product people to maintain and extend the feature set of the Stride Platform APIs.
- You’ll collaborate with multiple Engineering and non-Engineering teams within the company on cross-functional efforts.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or a Software Engineering-related discipline) or equivalent professional experience.
- Some internship, personal project, or full-time backend engineering experience.
- A strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals and excitement to work on a fast-paced, collaborative team.
- You have deployed your apps/services to at least one cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Experience working with and designing RESTful APIs.
- Experience working with RDBMS such as Postgres/MySQL.
- Experience managing project builds and dependencies using NPM/others.
- Last but most important, you have a desire to grow and get things done inside and outside Backend and Software Engineering in general.
- Experience programming in Typescript/ExpressJS.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience with an ORM.
- Experience with Redis caching.
- Experience with NoSQL datastores such as DynamoDB or MongoDB.
- Full-stack software development experience, with a strong focus and background in React, Redux, HTML/CSS.
- You have implemented a serverless application/service.
- Experience with devops tools such as Terraform/Docker/Kubernetes.
Stride provides the world’s first benefits platform designed specifically for independent workers, helping them save time and money on insurance, taxes and hundreds of thousands of products and services. Since launching in 2014, Stride has helped over 2 million workers save over $2 billion.
Stride partners with the world’s leading platforms and employers of non-benefited workers including DoorDash, Uber, Postmates, MasterCard, Amazon, Aon, Keller Williams and others to help them provide their workers access to affordable health and wealth benefits and perks. The company is backed by Venrock, New Enterprise Associates and F-Prime Capital Partners.
We support a flexible work structure with an office in San Francisco, along with multiple hubs across the US. You also have the option to establish your own fully remote office.
Born Digital: "Mastercard, Stride Partner for Gig Worker Benefits"
The New York Times: "It’s Not Just You: Picking a Health Insurance Plan Is Really Hard"
Business Insider: "Stride Health Secures $23.5 Million in Series B Funding"
Perks & Benefits
At Stride we work hard, sweat the details, and enjoy life away from the computer, too. We are a diverse group that celebrates and supports our differences.
- Competitive salary
- Equity package
- Health, dental, and vision plans
- Flexible work arrangement with the ability to work remotely and meet face to face with co-workers on a regular basis (as conditions permit)
- $100/month work from home stipend
- $75/month stipend for wellness programs
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible vacation time
- Parental leave
- A culture of learning and development
- And more!