Legal / Business Affairs – Business Affairs
Studio71 is a premium global media company and content studio that develops, produces and distributes original programming across multiple platforms. Studio71 is a Red Arrow Studios Company and headquartered in Los Angeles with offices in Berlin, New York, Toronto, London, Paris and Milan.
Studio71 seeks a junior entertainment/digital media attorney to join its business and legal affairs team in Los Angeles, CA. The successful candidate will be responsible for negotiating and drafting a wide variety of agreements for new media, television, and film, including content development, rights acquisition, production, licensing, and distribution. In addition, the candidate will be asked to contribute in other key areas of Studio71’s business, including talent relations, media sales, brand integrations, and other commercial agreements.
The ideal candidate should be confident and comfortable with handling transactions without precedent and providing legal advice to employees on a variety of legal and business issues. This position is best suited for those who thrive in a fast-paced environment and have an entrepreneurial/start-up mentality.
- Draft and negotiate above and below-the-line agreements for film, television and other audiovisual projects.
- Review, draft and negotiate development agreements, such as rights acquisition agreements (e.g., options, shopping agreements co-production agreements, etc.)
- Oversee the process of drafting and negotiating production contracts and releases including talent and participant agreements, materials releases, guest appearance releases, and location releases.
- Oversee clearance of projects, such as drafting and negotiating licensing agreements with respect to use of third-party content, conducting review of creative decks, footage, episodes, and films to advise on levels of risk related to copyright, trademark, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of publicity rights, and other potential legal claims.
- Oversee issues related to union/guild (e.g., SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA, IATSE, etc.) matters.
- Review and negotiate sales agent and distribution agreements; assist with distribution-related issues.
- Negotiate and draft non-disclosure agreements, service agreements, employment, and other ordinary course-of-business contracts.
- Negotiate and draft branded entertainment agreements, ad/sales agreements, commercial production services agreement and oversee all related production legal matters.
- 1 or more years of experience
- California or New York State Bar
- Prior experience in the digital media and/or entertainment industry
- Prior law firm experience a plus
- Superior legal drafting skills, with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of copyright, trademark, and privacy law
- Experience working with creators/talent and content owners (e.g., major studios, networks, local producers, individuals)
- A strong understanding of how the technology, internet and entertainment industries intersect